Lists of gear and tools for afterwards

WillyPete

Lists of gear and tools for afterwards

Post by WillyPete »

I see numerous references to SHTF and TEOTWAWKI and consider the preparations I have made and am making for whatever may happen.
With regards to tools, materials and other types of gear, I have collected an incredibly large amount of stuff to keep myself working, able to handle most situations and to offer my trades in barter.
I have currently, tools and materials for Carpentry, Masonry, Construction(various types), Landscaping, Plumbing, Engine maintenance and repair, Welding, Pipefitting, Most things electrical since that won't totally go away after whatever, Gunsmithing, Gardening and my main occupation, HVAC/R.
I am looking for a few other items to add to my skills and abilities that would be useful both now and in the future.
Mainly, I'm looking to obtain a blacksmith's anvil, around a 200 pounder or so, I already have many of the hand tools. I believe there will always be a need for competent smiths anywhere you go, along with several other trades that I have already listed.
Whether or not I manage to get into blacksmithing, the skills and abilities I currently possess will take care of me and mine.
I also have hundreds of reference books on various topics that will be useful in keeping the homestead and family in good shape and spirits.

Aside from the usual BOB supplies and materials, and BOL supplies and materials, what is everyone else doing to prep for keeping your homestead operating well and perhaps for obtaining what you don't have when you need it?
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Re: Lists of gear and tools for afterwards

Post by fern »

My better half has tools and such that match his handiness'. I watch for blacksmithing equipment but it goes high at auctions. Two weeks ago, the anvil sold for $230 and had numerous bidders. We did pick up a section of train track (what a job that was!!!) with the intent to make some of our own. I know there are important tools needed but this is an area that I do not have a lot of knowledge in. I have been buying hand fulls of shovels, rakes, axes, picks, hoes, etc at auctions for a buck or two for all and a lot of hand powerless tools. My better half rolls his eyes as he sees that section of the garage grow and reminds me that that is work! : ) Still a better option than not having them in my opinion!

For me, it is getting good with the treadle sewing machine again and buying up the replacement parts. I have been buying sewing accessories such as thread, zippers at every auction/sale I go to. No one wants them. I purchased 2 large boxes stuffed with excellent material yesterday for $5. And my other goal is gardening...have seeds and want more. Need to stock fencing materials, stakes, etc for our future place. Been looking at those portable plexiglas greenhouses at Harbor Freight and have been toying with purchasing one of those. The cheap one is not worth the money but the better one they offer is quite interesting.

I would like to get traps of all types. I followed my grandpa and cousins around most of my young life walking their trap lines and hunting. Getting the traps is not the problem...it is learning the baits and the thought of having to kill the caught...that could be a problem. I am good with gutting, skinning and stretching though. May need a partner for that one part.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Well,greenhouses can be built for a lot less than many realize. A basic frame made of scrap tubing or pipes covered in some plastic sheeting makes a perfectly serviceable greenhouse. Plastic sheeting is not as weather resistant as plastic panels but it's good to get started until you can obtain the better framed greenhouses.
I believe the expensive traps you are seeing are those clamshell traps often associated with bear trapping, also known as leg-hold traps. Those are okay for what they do but are expensive as you have found and are also labor intensive with their maintenance.
I keep a large quantity of copper wire handy for making snares and squirrel poles. I keep a length of 18 gauge thermostat wire in my bags as a means of obtaining foodstuffs when I have to make that long walk to get home or wherever. A snare or a squirrel pole and as long as the critters cooperate, I'll have food.
Having to skills to process animals as food is a good skill, killing an animal for food may take a little more effort for some since you really are ending an animals life to maintain your own. I have killed animals and processed them to be eaten and I don't do so lightly. the animal I kill is never discounted nor wasted, I don't kill just for fun, I kill an animal to keep my life functional. GOD placed all the animals and plants on this earth for our use, our resources that we must take care of in order to keep utilizing them. we don't take care of them, we don't get to use them, plants, animals, fish, all of them.
Anyway, killing is not easy but it is necessary for us to live. Kinda odd way of looking at it but that just the way it is.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

I have all of those tools in my inventory as well as a Champion toothed crosscut saw and have a half century of practice behind me using these tools. Also keep various sizes of steel and copper wire but using a snare in this area is not worth the effort, there aren't many small animals here, a few racoons and pole cats but I have never seen a rabbit. My meat will come on a larger frame like deer or elk.
Last edited by Toepopper on 09 Oct 2011 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
side_job

Post by side_job »

In a more simplistic approach, a good quality garden spade, and a spare handle will get you a pretty good ways down the road. Lot of people swear by double digging a garden. I have done a small patch in the past, and let me tell you it is some work.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Yes, its very hard work but it will keep you in good shape and the couch potato type people who can't dig a hole or turn over a garden plot without getting blisters or being able to withstand other hard physical work will become the first casualties if and when it all goes down. The long handled round nosed digging shovel is my most used handtool, second is my chainsaw.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

Temp greenhouse, one item i used was some old glass doors or windows set up on blocks , this will allow you to put in a early garden, the glass will stop frost or late snow, from killing start up of garden, and if still a little cold the glass will make it much warmer,, but you must watch weather , don't let a hot day burn up baby plants, the trick is to raise or lower the glass as needed... worked very well in Pa. and can be great help in early garden.
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

Hey guys good to read Your stuff,
I dont know if You remember or not but I was looking about a year or so ago for a hand crank forge and blacksmithing tools, still have not found them....( still stuck in New stinkin Jersey, and still looking).
Willy Pete, as far as Gods design in nature I guess it does seem strange however the master design is that Ones life must be sacrificed that others might live, (actually quite scriptural)....however I've made this point everytime I've taught a Hunter safety class in Ohio,keep in mind (in that same design) a day will come (when We are no longer separated from God) that never again will One have to be sacrificed so that others might live. (meaning we dont kill for fun)

Whitewolf
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I have been collecting good (like in well made) hand tools, just got set punches , set files, set of channel locks, and ax, and good field knife...
308gun

Post by 308gun »

and if the event is EMP or finical crash, or oil cut off due to war, all labor will be done the old ways, even a good hand drill has been very hard to find, so far the Amish have been my best source from home canning to wood working tools.we got all the home canning stuff this way pot and holder for canning jars, got to look into canning sea food yet , and stuff like saving orange too...