How may we clothe ourselves after the big one?

WillyPete

How may we clothe ourselves after the big one?

Post by WillyPete »

My wife and i were watching a Science Channel show the other day about cloth and fabric production and the tools and implements being utilized to feed the world's appetite for fabric.
One thing we were particularly interested in was the JACQUARD loom, I think I got it spelled right, that can be programmed to provide any sort of design in any weaving being done and any type cloth that is desired. The loom we were being shown was so large and complicated that it would take some days to get it completely set up to weave by getting all of the threads worked into the warps and heddles if it had to be started from scratch. As a consequence of this, another bobbin is tied on to a receding thread to keep the loom going without stopping it.
Since one of these looms does require copious quantities of electrical power which may not be available in a PAW, how is everyone preparing for their clothing needs when we can't drive down to the local market to purchase replacement articles any more? There will be some clothing in some quantity still around for awhile afterwards and some folks will have the means to repair clothing for themselves and maybe others but, how about producing clothing and accessories?
I'm considering downloading and printing plans and such to build a loom if we ever have need of one. It will be a simple loom not capable of complicated weaving but able to produce a simple cloth that can be turned into clothing or other items.
I'll also learn how to produce thread so that I can load the loom and weave the cloth from it. Guess I'll be a rancher of sorts too so that I can gather the materials to produce the thread, cats, dogs, cow, goat, deer, any kind of fur bearing animal. Comb and card their fur and turn that into thread in some fashion. I'll get plans for building a spinning wheel too, have to have the thread to weave the cloth.
I imagine I can turn all of that into trade items too, change my name to "Weaver" or something.
Anyway, what's everyone else thinking about for keeping your hide covered, aside from actually using hides? 8)
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Re: How may we clothe ourselves after the big one?

Post by fern »

I have simply been taking any excess of our excess or less worn clothes or any I can buy at super clearance sales and vacuum packing them. I also now troll the garage sales and am amazed at the amount of material and patterns I have picked up for pennies. I invested in the treadle sewing machine and some spare parts for it. I also buy up large spools of thread at the army navy outlets and garage sales/auctions. I have purchased a lot of heavy thread at our local joanne fabrics clearance sales too. I know this will not last forever and am just hoping it lasts before we have to start twining leaves and vines! My main worry is keeping the little ones warm and properly clothed as they grow so I have been going to the twice a year large resales that go on at our fairgrounds and churches. I know I do not have anything or at least enough shoes and boots figured out. They are expensive once you get past baby stuff and I am not keen on wearing someone else's used boots. I may regret that decision and I am not a leather tool person. I do buy up any denim whatever I can get my hands on. I know I can reuse that easily and have stuffed away clearance racks of long and short sleeve t-shirts. In January, I will be hitting kmart and other places to pick up their remaining flannel and insulated flannel shirts and things like I did this year. It certainly will not be a time for dressing pretty but I care more about warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Oh...I bought kmart out of long johns ($1 per pc) this past january and have put them all away in their packages. I didn't even bother to check sizes because there are so many of us of all sizes. I buy every good blanket and quilt I can at auctions too. Ollies has big sales on pillows and bedding so I will catch one of those and put them up. Even though everything is vacuum packaged, it still takes up a lot of space and is not mouse proof.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Re: How may we clothe ourselves after the big one?

Post by WillyPete »

Both my wife and her mother are seriously into quilting so we will not be without any sort of bed cover. My MIL has been and is still knocking out several quilts a year and my wife, having gotten bit by the bug, is producing a couple a year.
Both of them sew and can produce clothing of any type as well as making repairs. My wife has a very old Singer treadle machine, a few spare parts and the knowledge to use it. Plus, MIL knows how to use it since it used to be hers.