Safe Windows

308gun

Safe Windows

Post by 308gun »

I was over at a friends house and he was getting put in new storm/hurricane safe windows , i took note that the workman was using about 1 1/2 inch screws to hold the window frame to the wood house frame , so that got me to thinking about the types and amount of damage I have seen from Hurricanes that i have been through... I do not think this new windows are safe past 75 MPH ,rated 90 MPH Plus.I would add for security reasons also that as in door use bolts that go past the wood frame and into the wall also .. for storms and security add shutters outside ( in Florida many types )from roll down to bolt on , to the good old 1800's wood shutters that hook inside but swing out.. I use a new style of the old 1800's that are hooked inside swing in or can be opened for more light...For security you can add or buy a small pin that goes into the side of or at tops that goes into a small drilled hole. placement so as not seen from the outside. works also on sliding glass doors , but i would replace the glass sliders.. very poor security.. another item are window key locks , and another i have used in the city was window bars inside that used a lock and would swing inward, have a good locksmith key all locks to use the same key and keep a copy at every window out of sight... now also I must add for security NEVER leave out side any ladders, will be used to enter upper level windows, done work NEVER leave out chainsaws or ax .. will be used for getting in. put in basement, barn etc.. had a home attack near by at 10.30 AM guys shot 24 times at door , but guy got in back bed room window at this point home owner shot guy coming in that window ... If the bad guys can think of if ... So must we... took police 20 min. to get there ,, seems everyone was not close by.... :coffee: