Do you have a safe?

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Do you have a safe?

Post by Toepopper »

Due in part to the distrust of the banking system and the potential for not being able to withdraw your money from your account, many people are buying safes and installing them in a secure location in their homes. I have been looking at small fireproof safes to store valuable legal documents as well as gold and silver coins. I like the floor safe models that are installed into a floor and secured in place by pouring concrete around them. This system would be very difficult to break into or cart off as opposed to wall safes or free standing safes. A wall safe could be removed by destroying the wood framing and drywall wall that it is mounted into, then taken to a secure location and opened. All you need is a sledge hammer and a saw to do this. Some people use a wall safe as a distraction device and keep their valuables in a hidden floor safe so when the home intruder steals the wall safe and takes it home to open it he is in for a big disappointment. Many modern safes come with an electronic keypad. If the power grid goes down these will be useless and your valuable goodies can not be retrieved until power is supplied to the safe. Some of these keypad safes do have a battery back up for this type of situation. There are a surprising number of high quality used safes on the market at this time and these can save you some money and are still a viable unit for safely storing your goodies.
acet7

Re: Do you have a safe?

Post by acet7 »

Years ago on one of my safes I had installed an electronic keypad. I still have the dial combination mechanism and might have that re-installed, only for the fact of an EMP. It works great and it lets me get in it fast but I do not know how to just shield the front of the safe from an EMP. I also keep some extra batteries next to the safe just in case the ones for the lock go bad.
SS5R

Re: Do you have a safe?

Post by SS5R »

I have a large fireproof safe that at my previous home was bolted to a concrete floor. It has holes in the bottom so you can stub all thread into the concrete and bolt the safe down. With this system it is virtually impossible to move. It has a combination dial that is locked buy a key so until you use the key you cannot turn the dial, no electronics. It weighs 650 lbs empty and is fireproof for 30 minutes at 1200 degrees then paper starts to char. I had a floor safe at one point, it was OK but kind of a pain to get things in and out of plus I think you would get more condensation in a floor safe.