Question about can size

acet7

Question about can size

Post by acet7 »

I hope this is the right area to post this. I was in our pantry the other day and was looking at some cans of Campbell soups. I found three with different amounts two were the same kind of soup they were as follows 11oz, 10¾oz and 10½oz, talk about inflation. So I was wondering if anyone has some old can stock to see if it was ever 12oz cans of soup.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Question about can size

Post by Toepopper »

The only Campbells soups I have in the pantry are Campbells "Chunky" and they are the larger cans that say 19 ozs. on the label. I can't remember what the old style cans weighed but would not be surprised if they have cut down on the portions while raising the price at the same time.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

One way to tell when a downsize and price increase is coming is that they will temporarily manufacture containers that may say "33 and 1/3% more at no extra cost" (or a similar percentage)(this is also a time to stock up on something at the old price but with larger amount in the can or package). It almost ALWAYS signals a price increase is coming. I have similar soup can sizes in the pantry and not always limited to Campbells. Price increases are a fact of life and tied to several factors: crop success or failure, weather, cost of transportation. Cost of transportation (fuel) is the most prevalent reason and it usually is tied into the wholesale cost of the goods. Transportation companies on the other hand are tacking on a fuel surcharge for the shipment. You usually get hit with this reason at two levels - the manufacture builds it in and the transportation company tacks it on. Grow your own food, make your own soup, and home can it. Thats what we do with our "Survival Soup". :cowboy:
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Now is the time to be filling your pantry with canned goods. It will be a great investment as the prices are sure to go up in the future due to the global drought. This years harvest is winding down and the canneries are operating at full speed ahead to can the fruit and vegetables that weren't affected by the drought. In my local area the Harry & David Fruit Company has had a bumper crop of cherries, plums, pears and apples and they are advertising on local radio stations to hire workers to package the harvested fruits for mail order delivery.