Temporary dental pain relief

WillyPete

Temporary dental pain relief

Post by WillyPete »

If you get a toothache or some other type of tooth pain, place a single clove at the site of the pain and keep it there for a bit of time, the pain will go away. I have used this technique myself and it has worked for the toothaches I have had when OTC pain killers didn't even scratch at the door of the pain, the clove got rid of it!
bbj101

Re: Temporary dental pain relief

Post by bbj101 »

I have never heard of cloves being so great for dental pain. And given my luck with teeth, I'm going to have to get over my dislike for cloves.

Thanks willypete!
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Clove oil is another good topical treatment for dental pain. You must be wary when using it as raw or pure clove oil can burn skin and mucus membranes badly. I do not know any dilution ratio or dilution substances so I just use a fresh as I can get it clove.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

When I would have a dental problem...I put a drop of mild silver on it and that would make it go to sleep.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

Well willypete you have proven this post correct, I have been absent from the forum lately because I had oral surgery last week. I had both bottom wisdom teeth removed. The bottom left came out no problem and the right was slightly impacted. The right side put up a fight, and I had several factors against me. First, I had food particles and bacteria under the gumline causing an infection. Then, it was partially impacted and didn't want to come out. And lastly he had to break the tooth to get it out and even then had a difficult time. So after all of that and some stitches, with my stroke of luck the bloodclot did not rise causing dry socket. I will admit, it was just as bad as childbirth! Today was day 4 after extraction and I woke up crying, apparently I had been crying in my sleep. I immediately called my oral surgeon because that amount of pain was definitely not normal. The pain was getting worse and worse until it was beyond bearable. My dr had me come in immediately and he inserted a 6" long piece of cloth drenched in clove oil and paste into the gum and pressed it down onto my jawbone. Within seconds the pain was nearly gone, and within ten minutes I was smiling and in complete relief. Now, well over 14hrs later I am still in very good comfort. I am still taking motrin from time to time because I had stitches on my cheek that had been giving me discomfort and to help with the swelling. I am going to be getting the pack removed Monday and he is going to re-evaluate and either replace the pack with a fresh one or close the hole back up.

This last week has been a week I would love to forget, but I will never forget the benefits of clove! It is truly amazing and unlike anbesol or any other of the otc tooth/mouth pain meds the clove is still working strongly. And it sure beats the amount of pills I was taking and getting NO relief whatsoever!
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

bbj101, I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain with your teeth, I can sympathize completely as I went through a similar ordeal when I was younger. All 4 wisdom teeth out two at a time and one had the roots so twisted around that it had to be broken up and removed with a crowbar! That's where I learned the value of the clove.
I am tickled pink that you found relief for your pain and I'm glad to know you are doing well! :thumbs:
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

I go back tomorrow to get the socket repacked. The clove wore off about 30 mins after I made that post and ilnow I'm back to excruciating pain. I found dental clove oil and bout it and it works great but its not soaking threbdressing so isn't giving any relief where i need it and I am not removing the dressing..

I just hope this heals soon because I take pain well and I cannot handle this much longer. Looking forward to tomorrow and getting a fresh clove pack.
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

I wanted to share this since I found it very difficult to find the right type of clove "oil" for my teeth. Pure clove oil, you can find it at health food stores will burn tissues like the tongue or other things that have many nerve endings. So you cannot use pure clove oil for dental problems. Like WillyPete said, a fresh clove is best, but might not always be readily available.

I found the PERFECT kit at walgreens and cvs, those are the only two places I have found that carry this, but its called the Red Cross Toothache Kit. It comes with cotton pellets the clove oil/extract drops and a pair of sterile tweezers and its about $6.99 which is nothing if you ever have the pain of a dry socket. I have found them as low as $3 a piece on some websites as well. And in the circumstances that may come in the future proper dental care is out the window, so if anything needs done more than likely the tooth would have to come out which heightens the risk of dry sockets. So I really truly recommend getting these kits, they saved me and I swear by them.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

If you're intrepid enough to try it, cloves can be grown if you can establish and maintain a clove tree or plant. I found some links just for that so, if anyone is interested.

http://www.gardenguides.com/101898-grow ... plant.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5642977_grow-clove-plant.html

http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/cloves76.html
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

I am related to my mother so my thumb isn't exactly green, its kind of the color of a plant right before it withers haha.

But definitely going to research this a little more because its an amazing plant!
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I understand that as I don't have a green thumb either.

It's black. :shock:
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

I just found this resource. Does anyone know what it is? It's called the toothache plant. Scroll about two-thirds down the page. http://www.cukierski.net/HeirloomSeeds.shtml
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I put the plant name into a search engine and came up with several pages of links to good info about that plant. All of them refer to the common name as the toothache plant, no other. It is used as a treatment for toothache until you can get to a dentist, temporary relief rather than a permanent solution, just like a clove in fact.
There's plenty more information available and it seems like it would be a great addition to a pharmaceutical herb garden.