Bug-Out Bag For Pets

Watchman
Foreman

Bug-Out Bag For Pets

Post by Watchman »

Have you given any serious consideration about bugging out with pets? I sometimes joke with my wife that they are "meals on wheels" and she does not appreciate that comment. We need to take care of the little critters if at all possible. In keeping with my policy of not copying things from other forums, I will ask you to follow this link. It is one of the best BOBs for pets that I have seen.

http://petsweekly.com/en/all-about-dogs ... ug-out-bag
“Two is one, one is none”
FLPrepper

Re: Bug-Out Bag For Pets

Post by FLPrepper »

My question is how do you get your vet to write prescriptions in advance for the purpose of a pet BOB? My dog and cat both have medications they need to survive - I need to have some of each in their respective bags? Advice?
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Bug-Out Bag For Pets

Post by Watchman »

The only idea I have is one gave to me years ago. This can only be used for necessary (but not severe health or life-threatening) medications. Skip a dose now or then and build up a supply. Not fool-proof but to make our babies' lives a little more peaceful.

(NOTE: I just wrote to Holly Deyo who is a great champion of pet welfare and will publish her reply here.)

From Holly Deyo:
Wish there were a magic bullet answer, but meds are even more closely watched since ObamaCare. It used to be you could find an "End Times friendly" or a disaster-receptive physician who understood the situation and the necessity for extra medications to be available. Now docs have to account for every pill. Some pain scripts are allotted to patients as so many per month. If you need more, then there's a problem and it forces people to go to multiple docs to cover their tracks for more meds. Think Michael Jackson and Prince.

The only suggestion I have is to have this person feel out their vet and see what they could do for a pet given an extended power outage or extended travel. It might buy the pet some time, but unfortunately there isn't a good answer
“Two is one, one is none”