How about a bag or box for your vehicle?

WillyPete

How about a bag or box for your vehicle?

Post by WillyPete »

I decided to get pics of the Get Home Box I keep in my ride. So far, I have gear to get around after a catastrophe but I have not yet added foodstuffs. I do, however, have means to obtain foods if necessary. Enjoy the show!

This is the box I use, it's made by CONTICO and can be had at many retailers for a reasonable price. I paid maybe $25 when I got this one, don't know what they sell for now though.

These are the first layer of items keep packed in it, there's a fair bit more to be seen.

The first, and main item is the ToolPak backpack for carrying the majority of my equipment. These are available online and at some retailers.

I carry a small poly tarp for cover when stopped for a period of time or, if it rains, sleets, snows, you get the picture. It's a 6x8 ft tarp that I picked up at a discount store for a couple bucks.

Since I likely will have to go through some less than desirable areas in my travels, I have some defense mechanisms. And food gathering methods when the opportunity presents itself.

The Swiss Army Knife has the screwdriver to assemble the H&R single shot 20 gauge. I also have others.

Good for those slightly longer distance needs and...

... for those probably up close and personal needs, I keep this on my belt.

I also have an assortment of ammunition for these items, two you have seen already, the shotgun I carry some but not an overwhelming amount. Just this much. One of the Remington bulk packs is slugs and the other is home rolled #4 buckshot. The Winchester boxes are #7.5.

I'm not going to be market hunting or in a war with the MZBs, it's just a small amount to assist in the possibility of gathering some animal type food.

I also have other means of gathering food. Fishing gear with a collapsible rod and small reel, some hooks, floats and sinkers, fake baits and lures and some fishing tools.

The box is also made by CONTICO but I have not seen any of this style for some years. They may still be available but I don't know.

Now, if I have to stay put for awhile, I need the means to gather firewood and make it ready for burning. I have these items to use.

A smaller axe, a GERBER hatchet that has a knife in the handle, a WYOMING saw and my GERBER machete with sawback.

For smaller chores or, if I decide to ditch the larger blades, a set of knives in one sheath. A caping knife, a larger skinning knife with guthook and a fair cleaver type blade. I got this set from Smoky Mountain KnifeWorks at http://www.smkw.com for around $20 plus shipping. A few years ago of course.

I keep a first aid kit and a flashlight with batteries in the cab cause, I'll need them at some point and I like to keep these more accessible.

And, an item always necessary for survival and comfort in the wilds, rope and other cordage. Well, I'm sorry, I failed to get a pic of the rope and twine I keep in there. A 100 ft. length of nylon rope and a coil of jute twine, not sure how much but it's a substantial amount.

I do have firemaking materials available, a lighter in my pocket and one in the first aid kit plus, I put a pack of Sterno type fuel gel that I can use to get a fire started. Smear some of that jelly on the tinder and kindling and fire will get going when i put flame to the jelly.

All of this gear may seem like one heck of a load to carry but realize, I am a very large and strong guy and am accustomed to carrying heavier loads than this on a regular basis. The whole box weighs maybe 65 lbs total and I won't be carrying the boxes when I'm traveling unless I can get some wheels to put under it. A wheelbarrow or something.
I'll be tweaking this kit a little, mainly adding some foodstuffs that can survive reasonably well in the environmental extremes present in a vehicle. Any ideas will be welcome and I will post the progress as it is completed.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: How about a bag or box for your vehicle?

Post by Toepopper »

I LIKE IT :!: That Contico box is the ideal container for this project and I noticed that it is lockable also. You can bet your bippee that I will be on the lookout for one of those. I have looked at the smaller "gang box" metalic tool boxes at Home Depot and Lowes but they are way too heavy and unwieldy as well as too expensive.
acet7

Post by acet7 »

Nice set up. It reminded me to get my truck stuff in order. I have an M6 scout 22lr over .410 that will be in my truck and an AR that when ever I get to build it will be in there also.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Toepopper wrote:I LIKE IT :!: That Contico box is the ideal container for this project and I noticed that it is lockable also. You can bet your bippee that I will be on the lookout for one of those. I have looked at the smaller "gang box" metalic tool boxes at Home Depot and Lowes but they are way too heavy and unwieldy as well as too expensive.
I bought the big CONTICO box at a LOWE'S some years ago and the little fishing kit box I got at Wally world.
Last edited by WillyPete on 07 Oct 2010 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Thanks W.P. :mrgreen:
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

I have a Rubbermaid action packer in my truck with all my gear in it but that looks much nicer. I have always been afraid to leave guns stored in my vehicle. It's a hassel to take them in and out but I sleep better.

I added two cans of sterno I had laying around to my B.O.B. They don’t weigh much the ones I have are call Ecoflame they weigh 5.25 oz. One can will burn for about three hours and you can put it out and re-light it. The ones I have are made from sugar cane alcohol so it is clean burning and non-toxic. It can be used as a fire starter or you could put it in a larger can, dig a hole in the ground or stack rocks around it to retain the heat for cooking, heating or grilling a small critter. I’m going to get a few more and put one in my backpack for hiking and one in my truck for the winter, since they burn clean it can be used as a small heat source.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I keep what I have in my truck fairly well concealed, the truck is always alarmed when I'm not nearby or in it and I keep close watch on it anyway. That and noone really knows what is in there and I have no identifying marks that would indicate that I keep a firearm in it, no DU stickers, no BASS stickers, no Browning BuckMarks, none of that stuff, trying to stay as gray as I can. As such, it looks like a soccer dad's ride, nothing special.
WillyPete

Now, some additional materials I keep handy

Post by WillyPete »

I added some items to the truck box and show other items I keep in the truck for those "Just In Case" issues. First, additional box contents.

Here's the rope pics I forgot the other day.

Some reasonable capacity rope for binding and other requirements and, a ball of some sort of twine prolly sisal or manila, that will be used for minor uses. Tying up the tarp for a shelter, bundling up some fire materials slinging my shotgun after I braid a sling, etc., etc.

I finally found one of the other folding shovels I have, haven't seen the other one in years. Iit may have grown legs at some point past but, if I need to do some digging of a more substantial nature than hands or a stick can handle, I have this.

Now, items for the "Just In Case" moments.

A logging chain for pulling stuff

Jumper cables for jumping stuff. No creeks, streams or rivers mind you.

Two of these 20ft., 24000lb. cap. winch straps that can be used for all sorts of pulling, lifting, binding, winching activities. One of them is elsewhere at the moment, you'll see where in a bit.

Gloves are always a good thing to keep "hand"y. Get it?, "Hand"-y?

I'll stop now. These are good sturdy gloves. One pair is kevlar and leather and the other pair is a synthetic weave with PVC grip panels. Lighter than the kevlar but just as sturdy.

Now, where I store some of the items that don't get into the truck box. A latching storage crate my best friend gave me that carries the chain, the winch straps, some bottles of oil and tranny fluid and the jugs of coolant bungeed to the crate. Other items are stored in the molded in pockets on the sides of the cargo area, you can see one of them by the crate. There's another one on the other side. Those fluids may be needed on occasion so, I'd rather have 'em and not need 'em than need 'em and not have 'em.

I also keep a spare fan belt in the truck, it's on the floor front of the backseat. No pics, it ain't that important. Unless I need it though.
I haven't added any food or beverage to keep in the ride yet but, I usually will have something available when I make any extended runs such as when I go hunting or fishing. I'll have a cooler filled with food, drink and ice for that trek and I will sometimes add a bag o' goodies for those 'Just In Case" episodes. Plus, I still haven't decided which stores to add for eating and drinking that can handle the environmental extremes of the ride. Lots of HOT an COLD through the year that will ruin most anything I'd keep in there. I'll figure something out soon enough.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Glad to see that colapsable entrenching tool added to your kit. Those little shovels will be a much needed/used tool for digging a small ditch around your tarp to direct rainwater away from your temporary shelter. If your sleeping bag gets soaked you have had the bisquits and will get hypothermia when it turns cold. I recently purchased a pack of 3 new waterproof sleeping bag covers, Dutch military surplus, for keeping my sleeping bags DRY. They also help prevent wind penetration and will keep you warmer too. Another item I have not seen mentioned is a surplus lightweight poncho liner. They are very lightweight, easy to carry, fold into a small size and they will keep you warm. There seems to be a lot of these at gun shows and surplus dealers lately and they are in excellent condition and very inexpensive. The nights are getting cold and winter is approaching so my travel kit items will be adjusted to fit the new season.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I was thinking along the lines of digging out a trench in front of the drive wheels of my truck and sticking tree branch pieces in front of the wheels if I got into an uh-oh situation. I've gotten other rides stuck and that is how I had to get out. Dig it out and put some branches down for the tires to grip. If I am sleeping out I figured on building up a platform of branches and boughs and pulling the tarp over top of me, maybe a hot rock or hot ground bed after a fire as well. If I stop to setup camp early enough I may build a swamp bed and sleep off the ground so that I don't have to deal with getting up from so far down.
Poncho and liner is a good idea, the cold weather clothing I have is made water resistant so, when under the tarp I should be OK there. But, in a drenchpour, I'd be in some trouble. I haven't put a sleeping bag in the kit though, I'm going with a somewhat minimalist approach and, I do have to carry much of this gear in my travels. In my trade I have become mostly inured to cold and hot weather, it doesn't bother me at all anymore. Rain however, I hate getting soaked. A drizzle or light sprinkling I can deal with but, serious rain I can do without. That will be when I rig up a cover support, string up the tarp and get under it until the rain goes away. Sweat wet is not a problem, rain wet I cannot stand!
308gun

Post by 308gun »

This is just what i do ,,I have pre-packed a full set of survival gear and tools in every Vehicle,, may want to re-think flash-lite and battries ,,, battries die Very fast in Very cold or Hot temps .. i added cheap wind-up radio that has built in flash light am/fm/short wave ,,have 223/20ga.. gun sets(Rossa) lot of ammo/ gun clean gear, extra boots , hat , poncho,jeans/shirt/jacket/socks good hand Ax/ combat knife and folder knife ... good spare Tire on extra rim (not donut) full set of tools, jump cable / flat tire kit and good air pump that works off lighter in vehicle ,, extra water/ oil/ power fluid/ break fluid/ anti=frezze fluid,and food and tow cabels. flares ... but the battries never last long...... :coffee: and don't forget a good JACK ..........
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

Speaking of flashlights, I have a flashlight I carry in my backpack that you shake instead of crank. I only know it as the shake flashlight. I bought it at Sierra Trading Post a few years ago for around $9.00. No batteries, lightweight, water proof, LED bulb, it always works. One other light I like is the SO-LED clip on light from CountyComm.com. I have bought several of these little lights for B.O.B., backpacks and my wife carries a couple of them at work when flying as a back up to her required flashlight. You can clip it on for hands free use. They are on sale now for $1.75 each. You could even clip one on your child to keep track of them in the dark.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I have one of those shake lights and it's OK but I prefer the windup flashlights I have more. Not so strenuous to get them charged. I have one of them in a GHB I have, and the other stays handy at the house for those lights out occurrences. They all work well, I'm just a flashlight freak. I have hundreds of 'em. :shock:
Well, not hundreds but, I can't seem to stop myself sometimes when I see a new flashlight, I buy it to add to the collection. :cowboy:
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Been going to Lowe's a good bit to get stuff to finish my other house and I found that the box I have here is still available at Lowe's for $32.97. Well, at my store, don't know about the rest of the US. I looked at Lowe's website and it isn't listed there so, it may be a store thing only. I imagine that since it is available at one store, you may be able to get one at a Lowe's near you if you want one.