Reno Fire Storm and the Importance of BOB

SS5R

Reno Fire Storm and the Importance of BOB

Post by SS5R »

You may have heard Reno had a large 4000-acre wildfire last weekend with thousands of homes in its path. They only lost 29 structures, 15 homes, barns, outbuildings with another 10 homes badly damaged but repairable. In the end they saved a total of 4500 homes. It started when high winds arced some electrical lines in the foothills and caught the sagebrush on fire then moved on to residential properties. It started at 12:30 AM and was a 3-alarm fire within one hour. Winds were gusting to 65 mph so aircraft were out of the equation not to mention it was nighttime. 455 firefighters, 150 police officers, 160 national guard on the scene by mid-day. 10,000 people were asked to evacuate by the use of reverse 911 calls and door-to-door orders, if they came to your door in some cases they were giving as little as five minutes for you to get out. Several people had to evacuate their livestock as well as themselves. We have two friends that live in this area, they had to leave their homes at 3:30 am. No Bug Out Bags. They were all running around half asleep trying to grab things to take not knowing which way to turn or what to do or what to take. One is a family of four; the other is a single woman with her boyfriend. We don’t see these people to often but my wife has known them for at least 30 years I have known them for about 5 years. In the past I have mentioned to these very people about being prepared and they looked at me like I’m some kind of nut case so I never mentioned it again.

So there you have one example of the importance of your Bug Out Bag and being prepared, it will be interesting to see if they now make some B.O.B. for themselves.