What kind ?

A gathering place to discuss and explain all forms of communications - radio, telephone, internet, visual, voice and other methods the mind can conceive. As a separate issue, the care and use of all types of electronics, most important, how to protect them.
flatwater

What kind ?

Post by flatwater »

I would like to know what kind of short wave radio I can have without a license. that would be for talking and listening. I have several old CB'S but that is just for local comm.. The other Question is what would be a quality radio just for listening.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: What kind ?

Post by Watchman »

For general listening (AM/FM) I use a CC Radio Plus that I got from C. Crane Co. I've had it for 5 years and it is a workhorse! Great reception in the AM/FM bands and sensitive. Of course, it doesn't light a candle to the 30-year-old Panasonic analog RF-2200 that I STILL use here in my office. I bought it prior to an assignment to Iran in 1978 and while there I was able to pick up AFRS broadcasts from Germany and even some anomalus broadcasts from US AM stations. Don't ask me how that happened. It still works on the FM and shortwave bands pretty good but the AM tuner is almost completely worn out. If I could find some way to get it fixed I would junk my digital crap.
“Two is one, one is none”
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

As far as Ham frequencies, and equipment you may monitor all frequencies , they are public, however you can not transmit on any designated ham radio frequencies without a license.

The closest you can get to the performance of ham equipment is S S B reciever ( C. B. ) but you ca'nt just buy a regular C B, you must obtain a C B with SSB capabilities, ( NOT JUST FOR LOCAL COMMUNICATIONS, and YOU DO'NT NEED A LICENSE)..
,but frequencies are limited to a certain spectrum.
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

By the way I do suggest having Ham equipment or at least a shortwave reciever so that you can monitor in HARD TIMES

also CBs with SSB capability I believe actually can transmit about the same distances as Ham frequencies and perform all most

as well just at limited frequency parameters, I recommend both
bobnsandy

Post by bobnsandy »

first of all you don't have to be a eletronic geek to pass the HAM test. I sat for my tech and general ticket the same day. get a goot study guide from AARL for Tech AND general and study to daylight out of it there are websites with the questions for study.
What I'm saying is if I can do it so can you.
BTW code is no longer required although it's good to know.
I'll be setting up a portable rig for my retreat and current house as well as the car(s)
:D
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

The only suggestion I have here would be to live invisibly, you wouldn't want your name on lists such as,Hunter Safety instructer, CCW, Vetran, Communications Lisense, Survival instructor, etc., you just want to try to minimize these red flags, some of us are already on these lists, and can't change that at this point, ( just a thought

Whitewolf)