Do You Have A Short Wave Radio?

A gathering place to discuss and explain all forms of communications - radio, telephone, internet, visual, voice and other methods the mind can conceive. As a separate issue, the care and use of all types of electronics, most important, how to protect them.
mjb9947

Re: Do You Have A Short Wave Radio?

Post by mjb9947 »

I don't have a CB radio or a scanner--I think that's what you're referring to. I do have a crank radio to pickup local radio stations. I'd like to purchase a CB radio along with a scanner this year. I've seen the handhelds versions of both, does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages to handhelds VS. stationary units or vehicle mounted units?

Watchman Note - We began the thread referring to short wave radios. They pick up international broadcasts and broadcasts from pirate or "patriot" radio stations off-shore or from south america. They are handy because you may hear about something going on in the US before the media does.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I have short wave reciever , and very old c b for auto use , plugs in lighter socket . has like 5 bands . not much on radio stuff , but this could help someone.
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

(This post has been moved to the private Ranger Riders Group)
acet7

Post by acet7 »

I have an eton fr-200. It has AM/FM and SW1 and SW2. It has a little led flash light build in and a hand crank to charge up the internal batteries or I can just plug it in. It can also take AA batteries.
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

Remnant,

Just an interjection to stick my nose in here,but I really sense we are short on the ability to find equipment, for monitary resons or whatever, just some encouragment to say that even if you cant afford a medium quality, new single side band radio and fancy antenna...

Keep in mind that even if all you have is a Short Wave reciever and a piece of wire strung to a tree you will be in 50 % or better prepared to cope with the coming issues at hand......

So if you have NO equipment yet try to at least obtain recieving equipment,....If you have a reciver or two attemp to improve on your situation....

Remember one definition of SURVIVAL is first fully Accepting the situation You are in and Simply Improving on it....

Whitewolf
side_job

Post by side_job »

I am behind the equipment curve myself, and I am curious about the actual "hands on" to the listen only station as mentioned in the previous post. Are there 'normal' sw stations that one could rely on for accurate information or is it more of a hit / miss anyone can report just about anything as information...? Is there an actual band or range of frequencies that would be more apt to find information, than others? This has perplexed me during the course of this thread, especially when we talk about the side band radios... I would be rather disappointed to be blasted by the local taxi company calling for a car to pick up someone, or the local farm hands talking about which tractor is stuck, when I was trying to reach you guys... hope this makes sense. I have always thought that a listening station, if you could get the correct frequencies for you local LEO or other state agencies, would help you in the event of a communications black out... but, I do know for a fact that my local agencies are equipped with sat phones, due to the earthquake risk in my area.

I think we have brought this up before, but those tty phones for the hearing impaired, use a carrier over regular phone lines, much like a fax machine... Im not sure about the availability of those machines but it might add a little security..??
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I purchased a SW radio at an auction a few weeks ago. It works great and has been a welcome addition to our home. I believe I posted this info somewhere else but the auctioneer will be selling at this home for several more months (1 day every 3 weeks) and there are a number of SW radios, parts, CBs, etc still there. I was hoping to pick up as many of the working radios as I can and would be willing to pass them on for whatever I paid. I also paid a buck for a portable am/fm/8 track!! After 30 years, I am listening to my old 8 tracks again!!
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

mjb9947 wrote:I don't have a CB radio or a scanner--I think that's what you're referring to. I do have a crank radio to pickup local radio stations. I'd like to purchase a CB radio along with a scanner this year. I've seen the handhelds versions of both, does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages to handhelds VS. stationary units or vehicle mounted units?

Watchman Note - We began the thread referring to short wave radios. They pick up international broadcasts and broadcasts from pirate or "patriot" radio stations off-shore or from south america. They are handy because you may hear about something going on in the US before the media does.
I had a hand-held 40 channel CB radio for a little while. While it worked it had maybe a 3 mile or so range on the road with an antenna adapted to it on my roof but, with the regular antenna on the unit, the range was abysmal, little to no range, 2-3 hundred yards was it, no more.
This may have also been because the radio I purchased was a rather inexpensive radio I purchased at a local truck stop on an impulse. If I had gotten a better one I likely would have been pleased.
Now to shortwave radios, my father gave me a small receiver that only had maybe five bands with the regular AM/FM bands on it. I could pick up radio transmissions from numerous places around the world, only I could not understand any of them except AIR AMERICA out of Europe. My usual listening was the local AM/FM stations I liked, the world stations were just a curiosity occasionally as I had little interest as a youth in what was going on in the world, especially if I could not understand the language.
I no longer have that radio as I took an interest in electronics and went through a phase where anything electronic I would disassemble to figure out how it worked or operated, went through several TVs, radios, stereo systems, etc. before I lost interest in that.
I've gotten interested in SW radios again for a hobby, and now as a survival system so I look around for what's available. Here's a few links:
For short wave radio receivers: http://www.shortwaveradioreceivers.info/
For short wave radio transceivers and other items: http://electronicsstoresonline.com/other_623.htm
For HAM licensing requirements information: http://electronicsstoresonline.com/other_623.htm

You can also just type in the search terms (in bold) I have linked above to find more links to information than you can scan in a reasonable period of time. Ain't the internet grand? :D Too bad it may not survive the coming apocalypse.

I would recommend starting with licensing requirements as, in our present, a license is most assuredly required if anyone plans to use a transceiver for communication with other radio operators. Not having a license is a very bad thing when you are caught transmitting illegally, and yes you will be caught, the federales look for this type stuff on a regular basis. Just listening does not require a license so, don't worry, listen and be happy. After the fall licensing requirements will be debatable or even non-existent, no way to know for sure.
The next step is to get yourself knowledge about the types and styles of radios available to determine what would best suit your needs. Wavelength on which the radio operates, power level and other features determine what you can do on a radio system. Get to know your system and decide what will serve you best. Antennas and power supplies are a whole 'nother barrel of monkeys to work with when assembling your radio station but I'm getting a little too deep just yet.
For just listening pleasure, probably any shortwave receiver would suit you well. I'm likely to purchase a simple, inexpensive receiver only, just to listen to what's going on around the world to keep somewhat informed as long as I can understand the languages.
Take a look around and find what strikes your fancy.