electronics

A gathering place to discuss and explain all forms of communications - radio, telephone, internet, visual, voice and other methods the mind can conceive. As a separate issue, the care and use of all types of electronics, most important, how to protect them.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

electronics

Post by fern »

Several months ago, I read an article from a guy that identified himself as a prepper. He wrote that he was still and forever stocking up on items but had all the basics and had completed his secondary list of desired items and was now on to his next list which was his how to make money in the future. He talked about his extensive CD and DVD collection and the fact that one day folks would need and want that entertainment. He was stocking up on external DVD writers and disks and had safely put them away in prep for an emp. I thought about what he was doing and could not decide if it was a good idea or not. If there were an emp, few will have anything to watch movies or listen to the cds on! But I still thought his approach was interesting. It just seems to me he should be stocking up on those little portable dvd players and pocket cd players too. He could become like the old VHS rental stores where they would rent you the player for the night too.

I only wish my family was in the position that this guy and his family were in! I am still working at the survival prep with my wish list that I yearn to get to safely in the drawer waiting for "the" day.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: electronics

Post by Toepopper »

I don't know if this is a good idea as my train of thought has never gone past the basic survival mode and watching DVDs takes time that most people won't have because of all the manual labor required to just survive. Plus you don't want to get caught with your pants down, watching a movie when you should be standing watch and looking for any potential threats from roving bands of people looking for food and other supplies. Light, laughter and the sounds of the movie will travel a long way and give away your position to anyone looking for food and supplies. Are you willing to watch a DVD if it may cost you your life? I would be afraid to take that chance.
As far as making money in the future, you may be forced to barter or trade for other goods in the beginning, it may take a couple of years before any new coinage or currency is universally recognized or accepted. It might be better to have silver coins on hand to use as money since they will always be recognized as true money.
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

I think that would be the last thing on my list. I don’t have the time now for watching a DVD. In survival mode it would be non-excitant for me. Not to mention the electricity and / or batteries to run the device and television. I think having a trade or a skill, being able to do some things others can’t, would be the best way to get by, trade for labor or barter.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

As I have read all the articles/books on Argentina through their hard times...it sounded to me like the people with specific skills barely survived or even could feed their families and the people that figure out how to best use and market other people's skills are the ones that do well. The first time I read something about this...it irked me to no end. But I kept reading and realized a group or a community of people must be smart enough to watch out for this and each other.

I do not think the fellow that wrote that article on his dvd/cd library was talking about using it during the worst of the survival times but more for the rebuilding time. I cannot get a grip on it myself but I do know it would helps kids a lot. Periods of escape and non reality are good when living through the real reality. I have not put a stereo or tv away in my preps but I may consider one of those little dvd/cd players with the ear buds. I have also come across home schooling dvds and if they turn out to be something good...that could be another use for the little players.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

If I'm going to use prescious battery power up or the little time the electric may be available it won't be on entertain ment it will be for a proactive cause
Even children who will need a little entertaining will have to revert back to kick the can old maid mentality