Fools math

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Fools math

Post by Toepopper »

The latest wave of young working people, many of whom are employed for the first time, reflect the modern educational system's failure to teach even the basic necessary mathematics to survive in the workforce. I was astonished to find out that when the power goes out and the cash register fails to tell the cashier how much change to give back to the customer, todays cashier's do not know how to count change! Most people of my generation learned this basic skill in grade school and put it to practical use when we had a paper route or pumped gas in high school. Prospective employees of the new Home Depot store have to be taught how to read a tape measure before being hired! Where were their parents and why didn't they teach these kids the basics of making change or reading a tape measure? First the schools failed because everyone is held bact to the level of the dumbest kids in the class and their parents also failed by not stepping up and making sure their children could function at the basic survival math level.
knobster

Re: Fools math

Post by knobster »

Have you seen the cash registers these days? It has pictures for your order and if you pay cash the little digital readout shows a picture of the coins and how many to return to the customer. People can't think for themselves anymore...
308gun

Post by 308gun »

Yes I had that a few times now , I got a hot dog and drink at a stand pulled out a 5 told the kid how much change , He looked at me , and said how you know that. and again at a fast food place I handed the kid correct amount before he could hit the food pictures of what I got... and again wanted to know how I did that . I said its :gangster: math and I do in my head.. had another kid saw my hat (Marine) and he said you were in the Civil War ... What math and what history.. these kids are below 4 th grade.
knobster

Post by knobster »

Civil war?!?! :banghead:

I'm so glad my wife homeschools our kids. My 11-yr old son would have laughed at them.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

I didn't know that about the cash registers having graphics. There are no fast food restaurants in town and the one restaurant still uses a hand cranked cash register that works when the power is out.
I have a niece who graduated from college last May. She is obcessed with everyone being equal, gender equality, equal pay, equal housing etc. This was drilled into her at U. of Washington. I told her she could move to Cuba where everyone is equal, where a doctor makes the same wages as a cane cutter, its a workers paradise with nice warm weather year around. She declined to move.
knobster

Post by knobster »

I do worry what sort of indoctrination will occur once our kids head off to college. We plan to homeschool through the 12th grade but after that... I hope and pray our messages are anchored deep in them.
308gun

Re: Fools math= higher education ????

Post by 308gun »

for collage the better way to go is the private Christian collage education , better to learn some truth , than all liberal trash, I would start a study of the different ones, even make a visit. and check out what they stand for ...EDUCATION in America is no longer about getting ready for the work place.. :argument: