Solar system incentives

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Solar system incentives

Post by Toepopper »

Many states have recently launched tax credits and cash rebates as incentives for homeowners to invest in solar power systems. I have contacted a local solar contractor and gotten several estimates for different sized systems. The system that best fits my needs is a 4.8 KW solar electric grid tie system with battery backup. This system will allow me to tie into the electrical grid and sell power back to the electric company. When the sun shines on the solar panels the electric meter spins backwards and the company credits your account for this energy production. The battery backup allows you to have power should the grid go down during a wind storm. Battery backup systems cost 30% more due to the cost of the batteries, 12 batteries cost $4224. There is a Federal Renewable Energy Tax Credit of $10,008
Oregon Renewable Energy Tax Credit of 6,000
Oregon Energy Trust Cash Rebate Of -------7,245
Total Incentives ---------------$23,253
Out of pocket expenses-------$33,360
Thats a lot of money and at current electric rates it would take 16 years to pay for itself. Should the current president be re-elected he may pass the carbon tax program which will force electric bills to triple and at that time it may be more financially advantageous to have a solar grid tie system .