Going to step lightly into solar power

WillyPete

Going to step lightly into solar power

Post by WillyPete »

By purchasing one of those Harbor Freight kits I mentioned in an earlier post.
I've read numerous customer reviews of the product and the majority of them are quite positive so, I'm going to give them a tryout. I'll make my garage off grid sort of, the freezer will remain grid tied but the rest of the garage will go off grid since there isn't any more than the lights and an old stereo system, I'll put in some DC light bulbs, and some CFLs as well, to reduce the need for AC power.
I will be putting in two big deep cycle batteries for power storage and use of tools and such, I already have a 1KW DC inverter that puts out about 117vac true RMS electricity from about 12.8 vdc. My battery chargers for battery tools have survived and charged all the tool batteries quite handily for several years on the inverter so, I'm certain I can use it for an AC power supply within reason. I've also operated some small AC powered tools from it as well.
I'm also going to buy a better charge controller as the reviews were mostly critical of the included controller for the kit. If the OEM controller keeps working well, I'll keep the second as a spare for when I will need it.
I have more than enough copper wire to tie everything together and it's plenty of gauge, lots of #10AWG so, I can run most anything I need from the batteries, the inverter or the panel kit. At least up to about 3500 watts worth. I'll have to invest in some power wire connectors too but, not too much of that either since I have quite a bit already.
The current price for the Harbor Freight is $179.99 and I have coupons for 20% off the price of one item at a time. Get the kit with one and a charge controller with another the same day. And some other items on other days.
If the garage works well, I'll either get another kit or two for the house or put the garage kit on the house. Probably just get more kits from Harbor Freight unless I can save sufficient funds to get a full powered grid-tie system and start getting some back from the utility. I'll wait and see how the first attempt works but I'm optimistic.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Re: Going to step lightly into solar power

Post by fern »

Twice a year Harbor Freight will put those solar kits on sale for $145 and they usually have the 20% off at the same time. I pick one up each time I see that. I have yet to try one out though so will look forward to hearing how your efforts work out!
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Re: Going to step lightly into solar power

Post by WillyPete »

I got my kit last week and now I have to assemble and install it. I told my wife about it and she has some enthusiasm for getting free electricity so this is a good thing. I am going to have to wait for a little while to get the deep cycle batteries, I put the down payment for my recent car purchase on my credit card so I need to pay it down a bit before adding more to it.
I do have several truck batteries in the garage that are still quite usable, not for long periods of time but, usable in the interim.
I already have some inverters, a small one I can't remember how much wattage and my 1000 watt inverter I used for awhile in a truck that works quite well for its purpose. I'll isolate the garage and put it on solar for the little bit of power it will be using, freezer and lights at times is about it. I'll be checking startup wattage for the freezer before I commit it to solar, don't want to damage the compressor and fan in it by low power starts if it has to do one of those, may blow out my inverter there. I'll check first.
Hopefully I will remember to get some photos of the adventure just to show off for a bit. :cowboy: