If you can, get as big a propane tank as you could handle

WillyPete

If you can, get as big a propane tank as you could handle

Post by WillyPete »

And set it on your property to fuel any gas appliances for a fairly long period of time. Stoves, ovens, refrigerators, generators, water heaters, heating systems that provide their own electricity to function.
Last house I had, rental, we had a 500 gallon propane tank out back for the heating system for the house, everything else was electric.
Anyway, your local gas provider can either do all of the work piping up your house or they can supply necessary components, the regulator mainly, and may have a recommendation for an inspector as this will be necessary before the tank and meter is unlocked for use.
You can fairly easily pipe up your own house provided you know how to run pipe and do the pipefitting, I have both a manual and electric pipe threader and die set with many years of pipefitting experience so, when I can I'll have gas available for the house.
I already have some 20 pound bottles and piping materials so I don't have to wait for the gas company to set a big tank, I can get started with the little ones and, I'm going to be buying some larger bottles to keep filled for use later.
We had to have our 500 gallon tank topped off every third month by the gas company but, we only paid for what we used and, the top-off was only 100 to 150 gallons of propane. The tanks are filled to 80% total capacity so, we had 400 gallons to work with on a full tank. The heat system used it exclusively so, not having the heater going we should be able to get a couple of years with just cooking really.
After the fall, there may be some of these big tanks sitting around who knows where that may be available for the taking if you have the means. There will likely also be the tank carriers around at the gas supply centers wherever they are located. I know where there are two or three around here. I'd have no choice but to have a vehicle of course so, we'll see how that works.
It's something to think about to prepare for any sort of catastrophic event, heat and fire are good things to have around.