Death Row For Hornets and Wasps

Carrying the control of bugs, critters and weeds to a natural level.
Watchman
Foreman

Death Row For Hornets and Wasps

Post by Watchman »

rescue_trap.jpg
I have been using this trap for a couple of years. They were (past tense) available at Wally and Amazon but are getting hard to find. Why? Because they're popular, completely natural, and non-poisonous. Last week I hung two of these at opposite catty-corners on our deck and the damn hornets kept committing suicide by flying into it and never leaving. It is extremely effective on mosquitoes and other flying insects. There are two downsides that I'm aware of. One, they are pricey, about $7, but they will last all summer long or until they are covered, insect-to-insect. The second bad thing is that they will murder hummingbirds and other small flyers. So far, I haven't had that problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Two is one, one is none”
WMHCheryl

Re: Death Row For Hornets and Wasps

Post by WMHCheryl »

Do you know the brand name? I have tried hanging wasp traps in the past that I got from Walmart and they never worked. After researching it was because the paper wasp common in California was not attracted to normal wasp traps. I worry about using regular poison sprays because my chickens free range and might eat the dead poisoned wasps. I recently read about EcoSmart Wasp Spray is supposed to be safe and natural. Sold online and some hardware stores. I haven't found it locally yet but might breakdown and order it from Amazon or Walmart.com.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

The brand name is called "Rescue". On the package is printed the term color attractant. I had a heck of a time finding them last order. Finally on Amazon from one of their vendors.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Have never seen this type of trap but will look for it. We set a wasp trap up last summer, the kind you place a dab of cat food in as an attractant. Mr. wasp flies into the trap and can't get out. This summer we noticed the wasp population is much less than last summer's as the trap put a huge dent in them. We have 3 types of wasps plus yellow jackets in this area. I have a large paper wasp nest hanging from the underside of my garage/shop. Its got to go and a long range lethal spray is the best way to eliminate it without getting stung.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

I may be one of those rare individuals who is not affected by stings [although it does hurt a bit]. Five days ago I was stung 22 times on my forearms and wrists. They appeared as welts and the soreness and redness disappeared in less than a half day. I looked at the two sticky traps that I had put up and they are practically filled but still have a lot of surface area left. A side benefit is that they trap those @#$%^&* mosquitoes also.

:punch:
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

20170804_084912.jpg
When you click on the picture it enlarges; hover your mouse over the picture and if you see a little magnifying glass with a plus sign, click on it again and you will see the critters very close up. :duel:

Got them suckers!

:cowboy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.