pickup tracks in ice & snow? TIP!

308gun

pickup tracks in ice & snow? TIP!

Post by 308gun »

pickup tracks if empty are too light in back and can fishtail on ice or snow ,,,, so what you can do, is get some 2x4's and make a H type frame use the wheel well hub to hold the 2X4 frame in place and put about 6 bags sand inside the wood frame to not move around , and if you have some old plastic cover the bags sand ,,, keep it dry and will not become rock hard,, this weight will help to stop fish tailing on ice , and if you get stuck bad on the ice,snow,mud, the sand will get you out... for 2 wheel drive , rock the truck out , a little gas & back & forward in low gear like 2nd... and if you burn coal save a bag or 2 of the junk ash left , add this to your mix if stuck ,, to keep from getting wheels dug in deep . do not gun it, go to low gear and rock out,,,forget the wood your wheels will just slip on that, even a old scrap of heavy carpet can be put down ,, if dry and not wet or iced up , and last let a little air out of your tires, they grip better, refill air in tires once on road and ok .......... :cowboy: you can also put bags sand in trunk of a light car and do all the same .........lots people even up north do not know how to travel in winter and think 4 wheel drive will fix it all ... NOT SO,, helps , but same rules still apply! and yes I know you can let the pickup fill with snow,, that is weight only ,, no help in ice or mud ,, you need traction.
acet7

Re: pickup tracks in ice & snow? TIP!

Post by acet7 »

Well if I/when I move up North I will be buying some of these for my truck http://www.mattracks.com/. They are pricey but you can get some good deals on used ones.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

my tips are for on normal roads, all off road driving is another ball game, off road is when 4 wheel drive comes in to help, and most 4 wheels don't do well over 45 MPH ,, another item is a good tow chains & the come along , you hook one end to say your jeep and the other around tree or large rock , and crank it back and forward , will pull you out almost any mess you are stock in or on... and for some off road are many different sets lifters and heavy duty muffers ,and pipes etc...and mighty big Tires ,, but you lose gas mileage here,....do they still sell snow tires and chains ?
rray

Post by rray »

All great, sound advice. What I have found to be lacking by many here in the state of Maine is just good old common sense! :shock: Slowing down and just paying attention to your speed and the road conditions can keep you on the road even in the worst of bad conditions. Many do think 4 wheel drive is a cure all and end up in the ditch! What I have found to be very helpful is to allow a little extra time in getting to your destination if the road/weather conditions are poor.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Most 4WD vehicles have limited slip differentials that will transfer power to the opposite wheel when slipping starts. So the right front and left rear wheels transmit power and when they start slipping the power changes to the other 2 wheels. To get power to all 4 wheels at the same time you must stop the vehicle and shift into low range and then power will be delivered to all 4 wheels at the same time. This will limit speed but will work well on ice and allow you to decelerate and come to a stop without using your brakes and sliding off the icy road . I have a Jeep and 3 Chevy 4 wheel drives and they all work this way.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

My wife and her other family members are from Pennsylvania and they really know how to handle snow and ice. One thing they have let me know about involves your idea of keeping bags of sand in the bed of the truck 308. If you do get stuck, pile up some sand in front of the drive wheels and along the path they will roll when you do get unstuck, that will provide some additional grip for the treads.
Some visitors to my house got stuck on the icy grass at my house one winter, my brother in law tossed a few handfuls of sand under the drive wheels and they pulled right out of the stuck.
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

One other thing they do here in PA is they reuse ash/crushed burnt remnants of wood or coal to coat the roads. Its best mixed with sand but something about it reacts with the ice to get more grip. I'm not sure of the science behind it but while I was working on the gas drilling rigs is where I firstc sawbthis and I must say a few times that bucket full next to the shack full of the mixture came in handy.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

Adding the coal ash is a old trick, they used to put it on the roads in Md. before they started using salt mixes the point it gives hold to auto tires etc, but does not refreeze also as is dark takes in more sun heat to heat and melt the ice , and stays in place better and not wash away ... any ash can be used but coal works best, keeps your shoe from slips on ice also...... old days used what was free and it works.....and if sand is added even better. :coffee:
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

The state is now using a waste product from the drilling activities here now too. It has to be treated as a hazardous material by the oilfield but when it is safely hauled off to the dump, the state takes it and is spreading it on the roads.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin