5 Gallon Gerry Cans

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

5 Gallon Gerry Cans

Post by Toepopper »

Last October I welded up a metalic carrying rack for a 5 gallon surplus gerry can and mounted it to the back of my Jeep. When I drove to the gas station to fill the Jeep I asked the attendant to fill the gerry can too. (In Oregon its against the law to pump your own gas and they hire people to pump gas for you.) The attendant told me he couldn't fill the gerry can, those old cans had been outlawed because they pollute the atmosphere with gas fumes when you pour the gas into a vehicle. The new design on the eco updated EPA approved politically correct save the world gerry cans have a 2" lip on them that will accept a spill proof non vapor polluting pour spout but when you go to pour the gas into the vehicle there is no mechanism to vent and equalize the pressure inside the can so it takes a full 6 minutes to dribble the fuel into the vehicle. You have to keep taking the spout out and let air get back into the can and then start pouring again. A full gerry can weigs about 43 pounds so now to save mother earth we have to wrestle with these spill proof cans so no gas vapors escape into the atmosphere. The new cans cost $65 plus another $12 for the eco friendly pour spout. I paid a buck each in a surplus store for brand new old style gerry cans and am not about to fork out $77 to carry an extra 5 gallons of gas so I have been syphoning gas out of my pick up truck into the old gerry cans and so far no eco police have pulled me over for using the old style cans.