Kindle to Use As PAW Library

Watchman
Foreman

Kindle to Use As PAW Library

Post by Watchman »

Developing..............
I've been exploring the possibility of using a Kindle as a holder for my PAW library. It will take some research to make this into a positive. First, Kindle will hold up to 3,500 books in its memory - phenomenal! Second, the need for a solar charger. Check this out: http://www.technologyreview.com/view/42 ... ur-kindle/ Third, the need for some sort of "portable" light-weight faraday type protector for the Kindle. Don't know if this is possible or not. Any ideas?
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Kindle to Use As PAW Library

Post by Toepopper »

Do you have a table saw? You could make a lightweight wooden envelope out of quarter inch plywood with one by ends and wrap it in thin copper sheets from the local craft store. That will bounce any emp waves but you must figure out how to seal the open end for access.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

My son has been after me for three (count 'em) years to get a Kindle. Though the possibilities and technology fascinated me, I wanted to be able to solve some problems before I even began to think seriously about one. I wanted a reader only - no bells and whistles, no sound, no nothing, other than being able to turn a page and bookmark it. Secondly, I wanted something with massive storage capacity and long battery life. Thirdly, I wanted to be able to recharge the battery with a solar charger. And fourthly I wanted protection in case of EMP.

I'm happy to say I have solved all the problems. I bought a Paperwhite Kindle (with no advertisements - $20 more). It reads excellent in direct, bright sunlight. I can sit in a chair in a darkened room and the built-in back light provides all I need. I will store 1,100 books! I found a solar charger that will work but remember this is a slow process. It might take 6 hours to do about a 50% charge. Thats fine, I don't plan on reading for 24 hours. I'm looking at a envelope-style Faraday cage that will stop EMP cold. One of the prominent tests was toput a cell phone inside, close it and dial the cell phone. Complete silence - it would not connect.

Last, happy thing, was what do I want to put on it? It will be my preparedness fiction library and as how-to works become available I'll load them on. I is a very perfect 'bathroom' reader! :oops:

I would recommend it!
308gun

Post by 308gun »

another thing you can try would be a portable (soft) cooler that is lined inside with a heavy foil, this way you can carry kindle at all times and be EMP safe and double the protection with a second larger cooler again heavy foil lined, not it use set it some wood like a bookcase , or wood work bench , that's your EMP safe !This can be used to keep a radio or small note book computer EMP SAFE... :lol:
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Since this was originally published some important changes have come about. Currently I have about 120 books stored on my Kindle, with room for about 1000. If EMP occurs, it will be erased! However an EMP-proof sleeve has been developed for about $30 which is pretty reasonable. After EMP it doesn't matter how much I have it protected, it will never update or allow downloading of new books as the internet will be gone. However, properly protected it will be a good library source of entertainment. :thumbs:
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

$30 is a good value, you couldn't buy the necessary materials to build one for that little amount of cash.