How many will use CB radios for communication afterwards?

WillyPete

How many will use CB radios for communication afterwards?

Post by WillyPete »

I was part of the CB radio craze back in the 70's on up to a few years ago when my last radio bit the dust.
I've been looking around but haven't bought another one yet. I'm looking at a mobile unit since I use them mostly when driving and because base stations are often much more costly than a good quality mobile. The antenna for those is also rather pricey, at least they were when I got into the craze.
I've used the original 23 channel units, a 40 channel SSB and a handheld 40 channel unit. Of the three, I prefer the 40 channel SSB mobile units. The one I had was a COBRA 29 LTD II that is similar to the 29LTD Classic being offered. The main difference in my old one and the current model is that there is not an SSB capability and no instant channel 19 switch as part of the instant channel 9 switch. You can take a look at the Classic here:

http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=p ... rentCat=30

They're not difficult to set up and for the longest time licenses are no longer required. At least, I think they're no longer required. I've still got my license from the 70's so I can also use the FRMS/GRMS walkie-talkies on the long distance channels which requires a license, a CB radio license is enough to use that radio's GRMS feature.

CB radios, while not covert or encrypted, are still a useful piece of equipment for communication should other means be suddenly unavailable, cell phones, landlines, etc. Many people are concerned about damage from an EMP but, stored in a metal container, if you're concerned about it, should protect the electronics. Me, I'm not convinced that an EMP will do the amount of damage very many believe will occur if an EMP happens.

With a handheld CB radio, or any mobile unit for that matter, covert may not be necessary because of the method likely needed to locate the radio, triangulation, can be defeated. The user can simply shutdown and move and won't be traced. Truthfully, I don't know the likelihood of anyone being traced or tracked for communicating with a CB radio but, we won't really know until something goes wonky and our world changes. In the meantime, I would think that keeping covert would be preferable to losing security by any means.
308gun

Re: How many will use CB radios for communication afterwards

Post by 308gun »

the type of use for CB's or other radio's will help too if just recieving you will not have much trouble ,,, the ones they will go after are the sender's be news in your area , or some type liberty message ....... they will short life ....
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I don't really know how communications will work in our future. I have invested in a CB base (only because my neighbor had it and I think I bought it inexpensively) and I purchased a SSB mobile CB of the same kind on ebay. When I bought that commercial building a year ago, it had several CBs in it that all appear to be working well. I also purchased a mobile ham radio. Since I am not licensed, I cannot use it in any way other than listening but I truly enjoy that radio! I bought it from a fellow on craigslist again very inexpensively. I believe it can also be used as a CB but I have not tried that. The line of work that my family is in takes them into areas where this is no cell service. I think the CBs will be back in fashion one day soon.

Have you read Patriots WillyPete? They discuss the pros and cons of the different types of communication in that book in a lot of detail. I have reread those sections so many times, I can almost repeat them. For me, it takes constant research though since my mind does not function well in understanding waves, frequencies, high, low, etc. I would wish for a radio guru that lived near me so that I could question to my hearts content.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I've dealt with various radio offerings over the years so I have a fair bit of knowledge about them. My dad gave me a shortwave receiver when I was in grade school and I'd spend hours listening to broadcasts from around the world, didn't always know what I was hearing but I still enjoyed it.

My dad also got me started with CB radios, he purchased his first one back in the early 70s and we all used it from time to time. His first was a Johnson 123 that, at the time, was state of the art. Now it's rather obsolete and gone who knows where, don't know what happened with it.

I use the FRMS/GRMS radios when I'm out on group hunting expeditions. Since not everyone has a radio license we stay on the FRMS channels and we keep a certain channel to ourselves on a certain schedule, coordinated with other users with other groups, so that we can always get hold of someone in our group if we need assistance.

I've used radios with my employer and serviced communications cell sites from time to time, the cooling equipment but, service nonetheless. I'd get into conversations with the site personnel when I was out there and gained great stores of knowledge. Too bad those stores are becoming depleted from non-use. :oops
I always knew when one of our cell sites was coming due for some service, our radios were kept on such tight frequencies that a cell problem usually allowed a great deal of cross talk between users on adjacent frequencies. One of us, my employer, usually ended up calling the provider to alert them to the problem because noone else knew what was going on, they just gave us grief for the cross talk even when the situation was carefully explained, they still got ticked and fussed at us instead of calling their service provider.

At the present I only have the FRMS/GRMS handheld units and I hope to get another CB at some near point in the future, probably after I've gotten some employment and gotten finances back under control. Until then, it's all OK.
One day I may get another shortwave and get a license for that as well and be real helpful in times of trouble, HAMs are a great asset when TSHTF and phone lines have failed, they can still get through. CBers can do the same but with a smaller range and both can always relay for really long distance communication.
whitewolf

Post by whitewolf »

One thing is for sure anyone not having CB equipment to fall back on wont have this very flexible (now cheap and available) and effective option available... very good option compared to none at all good survival tool especially Single Side Band CB communications (long distance)....keep this in mind

Whitewolf