Ham radio

acet7

Ham radio

Post by acet7 »

I have decided to buy a ham radio; I have not taken the test or even read the book yet. But I would like your input on what I should look for in a radio (i.e. meter, bands I should make sure it has, portable hand held or a stationary unit, etc etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been thinking of talking to an old guy that lives down the road from me, he has one of gigantic antennas (50’ high and about 15’ wide) in his back yard for ham operation. I talked to him a few years about his antenna because it seems to be interfering w/ my surround sound speakers sometimes.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Ham radio

Post by Watchman »

Talk to whitewolf.
“Two is one, one is none”
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

At the flea market today, there was a couple selling their grampa's belongings. One of the items was an old heathkit dx35 ham along with a new (old) set of tubes. I invested $30 in it since it appeared to be working. That is a big assumption on my part since I know nothing about these old radios other than it was making noises and he could pick up some folks talking. He said his grampa used it and the cb base daily and talked all over the world on the ham. Would appreciate any info on best type of antenna or anything else you can to offer. Are these old radios at risk in an emp?
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

I am no radio expert but it sounds like you have scored on a real good deal. The old vacuum tube equipment is supposedly EMP proof . Russian subs still employ tube type equipment because of this fact and that is one reason the Russian subs are so much larger than ours, to allow for the extra room required to house this equipment. To make an antenna you can start out with a piece of wound copper wire hung horizontally as high up in the air as is convenient, like from your roof peak to a tree. Search the web for details on how to do this properly with insulators on the house for lightening strikes and a proper ground. This simple antenna will greatly improve your reception at night when the ionosphere moves up in elevation and radio signals begin to bounce off of it.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Thanks Toepopper! That is what I wanted to know the most. I have purchased an antenna now so I am studying the best way and location to string it up. Just having it connected has brought it more stations! Can't wait to get it up and out and see what it brings.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

If you don't have a convenient tree or pole handy you can always string that antenna up in your attick for the sake of convenience. I don't think reception will be better than having it outside but it will improve performance and this will be an easy installation.