Sprouting

Everything you always wanted to know about sprouting.
Watchman
Foreman

Growing Sprouts

Post by Watchman »

This conversation string was moved here from 'Foraging', where it was erroneously posted. Foraging is a search for un-cultivated wild plants. The topic of sprouts belongs here because it deals with food production.

Here's the conversation:

I'm not trusting my area to be fallout free, so I'm storing seeds and some simple fertilizer and working on seedlings to grow in my basement over the winter. I have enough dirt and a grow light to grow simple, tasty things that I can put into my dehydrator.

25 YEARS OF STUDY AND TEACHING SURVIVAL HAS REVEALED TO ME
THAT SPROUTS ARE THE SUREST CURE FOR SOME OF THESE SITUATIONS
NON ELECTRIC GRAVITY FED WATER PURIFICATION, AND A CLOSE STUDY OF WILD EDIBLES MANY PRAYERS. ( REMNANT SOLUTIONS )
MY SHORTCOMMINGS ARE GARDENNING AND HUMMBLE FINANCES

Oh, I'll have power for the grow lights! Even if I have to make a generator with a bicycle and alternator!! I just need the seedlings to "take", and then I can plant them in clean fill dirt to grow the rest of the way.

THE BEAUTY OF GROW LIGHTS IS THE CONTOL, YOU DONT HAVE CLOUDY OR COLD DAYS AND YOUR FOOD SOURCE IS ALSO COMPLETELY OUT OF SIGHT THIS COULD BE WORTH IT HOWEVER, COUNT THE COST BECAUSE, THE WORST THING ABOUT GROW LIGHTS OR ANY FILAMENT LIGHTING IS THAT IT IS EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT BECAUSE A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF ENERGY IS THEN SPENT THROUGH THERMAL DISSIPATION MEANING YOU LOSE A LOT OF ENERGY IN HEAT THIS MAY NOT BE AS BAD IN YOUR CASE HOWEVER BECAUSE THE PLANTS MAY RESPOND BETTER IN WARM ENVIRONMENT BUT IF YOU LOSE ELECTRICITY TRUST ME THIS WILL MEAN A LOT OF PEDDALING (WITH A GREENHOUSE YOU ONLY NEED YOUR LIGHTING ALTERNATELY). IF YOU ARE DEAD SET ON THIS ISSUE YOU MAY CONSIDDER GOING THE EXTRA DISTANCE CONSIDERING HYDROPONIC GARDENING, THE INCREASED EFFICIENCY YOU ENJOY FROM YOUR CROP WILL OFFSET SOME OF THE INNEFFICIENCY YOU ARE LOSING WITH GROW LIGHTS. OVERALL SPROUTS STILL COULD BE YOUR BEST BET TO SUPPLIMENT YOUR EFFORTS, AND CERTAINLY A GOOD BACK UP PLAN. THE ONLY OTHER SUGGESTION I WOULD HAVE WOULD BE WIND GENERATION OR SOLAR TO EASE THE AMOUNT OF PEDDALING.

What kind of sprouts are we talking about here? Bean sprouts are what comes to mind, is that correct? This is one thing that I have never grown, and I do not recall ever seeing anything in the seed racks, or the feed stores. I will take a closer look next time I go there. Judging from the size of the sprouts they sell in the grocery stores, it looks like they could be grown in small plastic "start" trays with about 2" of potting soil and very little effort.

SPROUTS COME IN MANY, MANY TYPES YOU SHOULD STUDY FIRST AND FIND SOMTHING THAT YOU LIKE THE TASTE OF HOWEVER NUTRICIONALLY SPEAKING SPROUTS SURPASS EVEN GARDEN VEGETABLES, IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT SPROUTS WOULD BE THE NEXT BEST THING TO DAILY VITAMINS IN A DISASTER SHELTER SITUATION. ALSO SPROUTS ARE NOT GROWN FROM A DIRT MEDIUM BUT SPROUTED WITH ONLY MOISTURE. NUTRITIONALLY SOMTHING MAGICAL HAPPENS WHEN SPROUTS EMERGE GIVEN APPROPRIATE TIME FOR EACH SPROUT ( VARIES ) THEN IF POSSIBLE ADDING SOME SUNLIGHT NEAR THE END OF THE CYCLE CATAPULTS THIER NUTRITIONAL VALUE THROUGH THE ROOF. BEST USED AS A SUPPLIMENT BECAUSE THE MINERALS AND TRACE ELEMENTS ARE SOMTIMES HARD TO DIGEST (VERY POTENT ) TOO MANY BEAN SPROUTS WILL CAUSE YOU GREAT DISTRESS. ! ! ! !

P. S.,
RED CLOVER SPROUTS OR ALFALFA SPROUTS ARE VERY GOOD AND CAN BE BOUGHT BY YHE BUCKET NOTE: SEEDS FOR SPROUTING ARE NOT TREATED WITH ANY CHEMICALS OR FERTILIZERS.
fritz_monroe

Post by fritz_monroe »

I've recently been looking into sprouts. If you do bean sprouts, you don't want to expose them to the sun. If you do, they will get pretty bitter tasting. Alfalfa sprouts should be exposed.

Some of you have probably been there, but Walton Feed has a pretty good description on Growing and Using sprouts.
whitewolf

Re: Sprouts

Post by whitewolf »

Probably one of the best things you can store in hard times..........

Easy, dependable, no light or soil needed very high in vitamins, unbelievable amounts of protein, very little weight and take up very little room.........

Suvivalists dream , study it add to your bug out bag and keep dry, know when to add light if desired, how much you should eat, what vitamins, and minerals and trace elements each kind of seed supplies, and practice with a simple sprouter to find out what your family likes....................................

Whitewolf
whitewolf

Sprouting

Post by whitewolf »

Sprouting

We have been "sprouting" for years and find it is very useful in the winter months when fresh garden vegtables are not possible. Many have no idea just how simple, quick and easy it is to provide fresh, live food at just pennies per serving. Below are some articles we found on Handy Pantry's website. This is the best company we have found for product variety & economy. A wonderrful book we have found is "The Sproutin Book" by Ann Wegmore.

We have read that Captain James Cook succeeded in circumnavigating the world on his first voyage (1768-71) without losing a single man to scurvy, an unheard of accomplishment at the time. He tested several preventive measures but the most important was frequent replenishment of fresh food which was in the form of sprouts.

In hard times it will be imparative to remain as healthy as possible. Think of the value of sprouting in the bug-out-bag! Do a study on the laurels of sprouts and you too will be amazed at the unbelievable nutritional value of the wonderful little sprout.

Top 10 Reason to Sprout

1. Only Pennies Per Serving- One tablespoon of organic seeds will fill a quart jar with several ounces of sprouts. A 4-ounce package will supplies several pounds of organic sprouts. Even larger crops are to be had with our other sprouting supplies, equipment and accessories.

2. Simple and Easy- It takes less than a minute per day to grow and prepare sprouts with the proper organic sprouting supplies and accessories. Sprouts will grow nearly anywhere indoors, in any season with the proper sprouting accessories. Sprouts require very little space and travel well. They are the ideal vegetables for campers, boaters and RVers. Complete, easy-to-follow instructions are provided in the sprouting equipment kits, on the seed package labels and in the Handy Pantry’s book, Sprouting for Health in the new millennium.

3. Fresh and Fast- This “garden in your kitchen” grows very fast with our quality organic sprouting supplies, in any kind of weather. No digging, planting, weeding, pests or chemicals involved. And there’s no long wait, as in seasonal outdoor gardens. Just 3 to 7 days to a bountiful, nutrition-packed harvest. When stored in your refrigerator, they will stay fresh for days- even weeks if rinsed properly.

4. Toxin-free Food- Organic Sprouts are as sweet and pure as Nature intended food to be. The Handy Pantry supplies only natural, untreated seeds, with up to 99% rates of germination, grown especially for sprouting. Almost all the organic sprouting supplies we now carry are now organic.

5. Complete Foods-Sprouts are real health food. They are full of life- as you will see in how fast and luxuriously they grow with the proper supplies, equipment and accessories. The right combination of sprouts contains everything needed for life and health. All their many nutritional elements are easily assimilated and readily available to your body. When home-grown, you know they are pure, and you can enjoy them at the peak of their perfection.

6. Tasty and Delicious-Bursting with flavor, you may be surprised how truly delectable they are when they are grown with the proper sprouting equipment. Enjoy them in salads, on sandwiches, stir-fried, steamed, or even baked in wholesome, home-made breads. You will find several recipe ideas in our book, Sprouting for Health in the 90’s. Check out our sprout recipes!

7. Highly Nutritious-Several contain more protein than cooked meat-at a tiny fraction of the cost. The presence and balance of amino acids makes this protein more digestible. All sprouts are rich in vitamins, minerals, trace elements, enzymes, and fiber. When exposed to light, several become rich in chlorophyll. For specific nutritional qualities of each, see Sprouting for Health in the 90’s.

8. Low in Calories / Low Fat-One fully-packed cup of organic alfalfa sprouts contains only 16 calories. Sprouts supplies your body with simple sugars for quick energy. Sprouts contain no cholesterol and provide several essential fatty acids. Sprouts are the perfect weight-loss accessories and body-purification food for the 90’s. With the accessories and equipment offered here you will be on the road to a much healthier life.

9. Help Detox your Body-Chlorophyll helps cleanse and oxygenate the blood. Enzymes aid in the digestion and assimilation of nutrients, and contribute to the body’s life force. Fiber aids elimination and their lecithin helps the body get rid of cholesterol. A raw food diet is one of the best ways to detox your body. With the proper Organic Sprouting supplies, equipment and accessories you will never be without this super food.

10. Build your Immune System- Antioxidants supplies protection for you from radiation and toxic chemicals. They are an equipment of sorts to help the body to cleanse, detox, rebuild and heal itself. Organic Sprouts are rich in antioxidants and supplies protection for you from the health scourge of the 90’s- toxic build-up. Antioxidant enzymes are especially important, because they are essential for the proper function of the immune system. Organic sprouts are one of the best sources for these important nutrients and with the proper organic sprouting supplies, equipment and accessories you will be able to build up your immune system.

*******************************************************************************************************************
How to Sprout Seeds Jar Method Sprout Instructions

Good sprouting technique doesn't take a "green thumb" , just a good set of sprout instructions on how to sprout seeds and paying attention to four factors: the right amount of moisture, the correct temperature, the free circulation of air, and minimal light. By rinsing them a couple of times daily, you keep them moist. You also wash away carbon dioxide and other metabolic wastes that could cause souring or spoiling. Using cool water when rinsing ventilates and cools the sprouts to prevent overheating. Proper drainage prevents excessive moisture that can cause mold and rot and is essential in how to sprout seeds. The ideal sprouting temperature depends on the seed, but generally lies between 70 and 85 degrees F. To protect the tiny growing things, keep sprouting containers away from cold drafts, direct heat, or any light. For free air circulation, at least one-third of the container must be empty. Sprouts expand 6 to 10 times over a few days, so give them plenty of room to grow. Sprouts are very light sensitive and need to be covered during the early stages of the growing cycle.

The Six Rules of How to Sprout Seeds:

* Rinse often.
* Keep seeds / sprouts moist, not wet.
* Keep seeds / sprouts at room temperature.
* Give them plenty of room to breathe.
* Don't put too many seeds in any one container.
* Keep them covered - no light.

How To Sprout Seeds Instructions for Jar Method: How To Grow Sprouts and Wheatgrass

This is by far the oldest and most popular method of how to sprout seeds. And some of the easiest "How To" Instructions to follow. All you need is a standard wide mouth, threaded, quart sprouting jar, half-gallon sprouting jar or gallon glass or plastic jar and some sprout instructions that show you how to sprout seeds like you have here. One technique of how to sprout seeds with the jar method is to cover the mouth of your sprouting jar with muslin, cheesecloth or nylon mesh secured with a rubber band over and around the top. This will work, but the screen is subject to mold and mildew build-up and is not as easy as using special sprouting lids designed specifically for this purpose, like the Handy Pantry Sprouting Lid. The Handy Pantry Sprouting Lid is a screw on plastic lid. It is made from food-grade polyethylene and has a mesh like screen to make sprouting even easier.
Sprout Instructions: Step 1
For a quart-sized jar, start with 1 1/2 tablespoons seeds inside the jar, screw on the fine mesh lid and partially fill the jar with warm water, not hot. Swirl it around to clean the seeds, then pour out. Refill with warm water to cover at about 3 times their depth & let soak overnight, away from light. This gets the germination process started.
Sprout Instructions: Step 2
Pour off the soak water. Find a location that is not exposed to direct sunlight. Place drained jar propped at an angle to allow any extra water to drain out. Turn the jar to spread out the seeds. Cover the jar with a dishtowel and leave seeds for 3 to 4 hours.
Sprout Instructions: Step 3
Rinse sprouts with cool, fresh water 2 or 3 times each day until they are ready to eat or refrigerate. When they begin to throw off the seeds hulls, let the jar overflow with the water and the seeds hulls will float out the top through the screen. Turn the jar to spread out the seeds each time you rinse.
Sprout Instructions: Step 4
Pour the sprouts into a pan or sink of clean water. Skim off any remaining seeds hulls that float to the surface. Other seeds hulls will fall to the bottom of the container. Pull out the sprouts, gently shake off excess moisture and drain in a colander.
Sprout Instructions: Step 5
Clean the seeds from jar and lid. Place sprouts for greening back into the jar. Place in indirect sunlight. Near a kitchen window is fine. After the sprouts have greened with chlorophyll and carotene for a day or so, rinse, drain & eat or refrigerate.
Sprout Instructions: Step 6
Sprouts will stay fresh & hearty for a week or more when refrigerated, if you rinse them every day or two. You can even give the green sprouts an extra hour of sunlight after rinsing to keep them at their nutritional peak. Caution: Since sprouts are frost sensitive, don't place sprouts near the freezer compartment.

Hopefully this information will encourage you to find books (library is a great source) or articles online. And begin the wonderful art of providing fresh live nutrition for your family.
bbj101

Re: Sprouting

Post by bbj101 »

Thanks so much! Never knew all that.

Very awesome post.