ESTABLISH YOUR PANTRY NOW!

Food production and storage.
Watchman
Foreman

ESTABLISH YOUR PANTRY NOW!

Post by Watchman »

I write this in prayerful hope that YOU will establish a permanent pantry in your home now! It is time to begin stocking those items that you and your family use on a daily basis. Begin with your basics and make sure that you date and strictly rotate everything. As a food distributor in my business life, I can assure you that there are hidden price increases coming your way. One of the major lines I handle just announced "no price increases". However, they down-sized their containers an average of about 15%. You need, absolutely must, find space in your home that is cool, dry and without critters and do it now. Think of food as a commodity (which it is) and that it may be a useful item for barter if the SHTF. There are some buttheads who would say you are hoarding. BS! You are merely maintaining a level of security for you and your family to survive as long as the Good Lord allows. You may also have to share with family and friends so take that into consideration.

As Tricky Dick used to say, 'let me make one thing perfectly clear!' This conversation string is not about whose fault it is nor why it happened! It is to assist you and I down the road of self-reliance and preparedness and how to overcome the obstacles.
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Re: ESTABLISH YOUR PANTRY NOW!

Post by WillyPete »

I've been storing many pantry items in my garage and I thought I'd share a tip about keeping items somewhat better protected from the environment outside a specific pantry like area, the garage especially.
I am fortunate in that my garage was better insulated when it was built but, it ain't as good as the house.
We occasionally purchase steaks from Omaha Steaks and they are shipped in some very thick walled styrofoam coolers that also have a dry ice block inside to keep the meat frozen until cooking.
Items I wish to keep at a fairly temperate level I keep in those coolers in the garage, the R-value is great with the 3+" thick walls, base and lid. styrofoam coolers are still available at most convenience stores, not as thick walled as the steak boxes, for a couple bucks each and many can be found on the side of the road where they have blown out of the back of someone's pickup truck. Useful condition is NOT guaranteed in that case but, decent better coolers can also be found on the road side that can be used.
Those coolers can be filled with less perishable pantry items and can be extra insulated by keep them stored in a greater insulated space. Just don't stack them more than 2 high unless filled with exceptionally light items, individually shelved is best though. Packing foam blocks removed from various packaged items can also be used to increase insulation in most spaces, I've packed it in sturdy cardboard boxes and made reasonable coolers in that fashion. I do have to trim the blocks but, once it's built it will last for quite awhile.
I've also used flexible foam sheets to line boxes that can provide the same amount of insulation and is easier to assemble, teh ideas are limitless! I've even rescued partially used cans of spray foam that I've used to fill boxes for insulating blocks, a little trimming to fit and it's done.
Don't let conventional storage ideas limit what you can do, there are a great number of non-conventional means to provide what you need to keep your pantry stocked and your goods usable.
More ideas and suggestions as I think of them!
308gun

Re: ESTABLISH YOUR PANTRY NOW!

Post by 308gun »

I also like to use the big buckets like joint compound comes in , just cleaned up a few and have a air tight seal, put in crackers, noodles etc , and sealed in plastic bags first , they even will not sink in water, and do not crack in cold........and can stack about 5 high......