Rancidity in Stored Food - Will It Hurt You?

Food production and storage.
Watchman
Foreman

Rancidity in Stored Food - Will It Hurt You?

Post by Watchman »

This is a subject near and dear to my heart because: 1) it interests me; 2) stored food is part of prepping; and 3) at what point are some things unsafe to eat? First, I want to throw a little education out there:

https://nutritionnutsandbolts.wordpress ... ancid-fat/

Two main things come to mind. Rancid food smells and tastes bad. I think we all have experienced rancid fat from meat in the freezer at one time or another. One of the least apparent scenarios is stored cereal and fats and oils that have gone bad. These items are a significant part of the cost of a well-stocked pantry. The only fat that we store is olive oil and canned butter (with a 15-year shelf life). Let me state from the beginning, I have never had either one of these go bad, despite sometimes, a storage period of four or five years from purchased to use. Not the slightest off-taste. On the other hand we store cereals such as whole oats and boxed cereals. I have never had a problem with oatmeal,ever. Where the problems come up are with boxed whole-grain cereal. It seems to begin to go bad at about the one-year point.

Come to think of it, I can't recall either one of us ever having any after-effects from eating food that may be a little 'off-taste'. Maybe 'runny elimination problems' butt I can't really say it was a result of rancid food.

Has anyone else had a problem with rancidity?
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Rancidity in Stored Food - Will It Hurt You?

Post by Toepopper »

We have had sesame seeds go bad but this occured after sitting on the shelf for 12 years. When we opened the can the aroma would give you a nose bleed and the seeds on the bottom were grey and all stuck together. Didn't eat any of them, tossed them out for the birds to eat and they refused to consume them. Had some dried grapes turn moldy after one year because they weren't dried long enough. Also have had problems with deer jerky turning moldy. All other home made dehydrated fruits have lasted with no problems.
Last edited by Toepopper on 16 Jan 2015 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Rancidity in Stored Food - Will It Hurt You?

Post by Watchman »

I believe rancidity only affects fatty ingredients - your sesame seeds are a good example.
“Two is one, one is none”