Hunting, Fishing, Trapping is Open for Business

Securing a meat supply via the woods, fields, and waterways. Retention - permanent.
cowboy38229

Hunting, Fishing, Trapping is Open for Business

Post by cowboy38229 »

Just thought we would open this up and see if we could get anybody interested in it. Feel free to post any question or comment
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Okay, I'll begin. Between us, daughter, son-in-law and grandson, we've secured a pretty good supply of meat for the winter. 4 deer and one antelope, for a total of about 300 pounds of dressed meat. Daughter's buck was about 320 pounds but she was so excited her shot was off and went through the shoulder and destroyed a good bit of venison. Three of the deer were kind of small. The antelope was so-so. We're having some of it on Thanksgiving. Grandson missed his chance for an elk. Saw a couple but they were too far away. He said he saw bear tracks about "a foot" across. I don't know if that was an exageration or not. He was hunting about 50 miles from Yellowstone.
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

I'm considering trying out a method for squirrel hunting: Fishing for them. Make a noose and wait, then REEL THEM IN!

Squirrel cooks just as good!
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

well deer season opened here in west tn. today.took a small doe this morning .i love our long season and liberal limits. only allowed three bucks per year and three does per day for five weeks. and thats just with a gun.
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

I didn't get a license this year due to time constraints. We get 1 buck in either gun or bow season, and for $22 you get a doe tag. No more than 2 doe tags per hunter.
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

$77.00 for license but i can take 3 bucks and over 100 does. thats just during gun season.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

My grandson Tim and his antelope:

And the 320-pound buck my daughter got, along with the cape of the coyote that was circling after the kill. As a side note, the coyotes here in Wyoming seem to be getting a little more brave - they usually tuck their tails and run when humans approach.

cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

:shock: nice muley,our little white tails don't get near that big.I think i'm going to try canning some deer this year.Everyone i've talked to likes it that way but i can't figure out how to can a steak. :wink:
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Canning steaks is easy. The only thing you have to worry about is the vertical size of the steak when rolled up. It cannot be longer than 1-inch below the top of the jar. We lightly brown ours then roll them up and carefully put them in the jar, trying real hard to not touch the sides of the mouth of the jar. We use wide-mouth jars. It is not necessary to add salt or liquid but we do; the liquid keeps the meat a little more flexible. Of course, it must be pressure-canned. Keeping safe, when you open the jar, my wife does it in two steps. She will boil (low-medium heat) the meat for about 10 minutes and then finish it off in a fry pan with some green pepper and onions. You're supposed to heat [cook] canned meat for 20 minutes after opening and this does the trick. She will usually use bacon grease or olive oil, whichever is on hand.
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

i always thought when you canned meat it fell all apart.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Depends what type meat - game has a lot of sinew and fiber and stays together pretty good. Keep in mind that canned meat it is NOT the same as a steak bought from the grocer's cabinet. It is preserved for future use and cooking occurs during the canning process. The heating after uncorking the jar is to kill botulism. The browning in the pan is to "fake it"; to give it some appearance of fresh-fried meat. What usually happens in canning meat is that the fat is leached from the meat during the canning process and floats and hardens in the jar. This conversation really should be in food preservation and storage - but lets leave it here for now, at least.
308gun

Re: Hunting, Fishing, Trapping is Open for Business

Post by 308gun »

Hunting small game in my area , I am now using traps to catch pests etc.. as I build up trap/snare skills that's meat too. :coffee:
knobster

Re: Hunting, Fishing, Trapping is Open for Business

Post by knobster »

This will be a good thread to update next fall. Between me and my group we harvested three deer last year. About 150ish pounds of meat (they were smaller deer, no trophy bucks). In fact, we're still enjoying bologna and venison sticks!