Wood heat vs gas or oil.

Heating and cooking with wood, a renewable energy source. Harvesting and storing wood for use; types of wood; methods of splitting. Everything about wood.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Wood heat vs gas or oil.

Post by Toepopper »

Heating your home with wood can save you some money .

One cord of hardwood will produce 21,000 to 24,000 BTU. It takes 200-250 gal of oil or 250-300 cu ft of nat gas to get the same BTU.
Hickory or madrone produce the most BTU of any hardwoods.
One cord of softwood will produce 12,000 to 17,000 BTU . It takes 100-150 gals of oil or 200-250 cu ft of nat gas to produce the same BTU.

A cord of firewood is a stack 8' long by 4' wide and 4' tall or 128 cubic feet.
SS5R

Re: Wood heat vs gas or oil.

Post by SS5R »

I use a pellet stove and heating oil. With the nozzle that is my oil burning furnace it will burn between .50 and .65 gallons per hour that is about $2.00 per hour, $2.25 if you have the oil delivered which I don’t I just go and buy 5 gallons at a time to keep the tank at about 50 gallons that saves anywhere from .20 to .50 cents a gallon. I can run my pellet stove at medium low, which will heat the living room to 68 to 70 degrees on 40-degree day for $2.75 for the whole day, about 20 lbs of pellets maybe a little more. We only use the oil furnace in the mourning for about 20 or 30 minutes to take the chill out of the house then let the pellet stove do rest. We don’t heat at night no matter what the temperature is. I don’t know what people do that have heating oil as their only source of heat.