Surplus Heat Tabs

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Surplus Heat Tabs

Post by Toepopper »

I went into a surplus store last week and discovered a bin filled with old Viet Nam era heat tabs. These heat tabs come wrapped in an aluminum foil wrapper which is OD green and similar to alka seltzer in size and shape. Heat tabs were used to cook and or heat up cans of C-Rations while on the move when there was no time to build a fire or when building a fire would give away your position. You would open a can of c-rations being careful to leave about an inch of the lid still attached to the can, bend it over to make a handle to hold the can over the heat tab and light the tab. These tabs would burn long enough to heat up the can contents. They leave an acrid oder but burn with a low flame and are a quick and easy way to heat food. I bought some and have added them to my B.O.B.
Another option is to buy some small cans of Sterno. These are light weight and are re-usable. You pop off the top and light the contents of the can to heat up food and when done, put the lid over the can to douse the flame from lack of oxygen, then re-use it again for the next meal. Sterno is light weight and dosen't take up very much room in your pack and a hot can of beans on a cold dreary day would be appreciated.