Copper

Watchman
Foreman

Copper

Post by Watchman »

I don't like to do this but I did - I "borrowed" this post from another news outlet. My primary aim was to document the worth/non-worth of buying copper rounds. This explains the predicament and also offers some tips.
Why Do People Buy Copper Rounds? Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soapy Smith, May 4, 2015. Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next > Soapy Smith Soapy Smith New Member I see a lot of "mints" selling, and a lot of people buying, copper rounds. This is something that has me scratching my head. I can understand buying copper as an investment but, do you really need to buy copper for the sake of buying copper? I mean, every time you throw away an electrical appliance (worn out electric shaver, hair dryer, television gone dark, etc., etc.) aren't you throwing out copper in the cord, and in the inside of the appliance? I don't buy copper rounds, but I've got a bucket in the garage that I keep "scrap" copper in - I cut the cords and peel the plastic coating off and save the copper. If it's something with green board in it, I also take that in to the recycling center (there's silver and gold in that green board). I paid for the copper in the appliance once, why would I throw that out (or send it to be recycled for "free") and then turn around and pay someone for a copper round? Should I buy a furnace and a crucible and "mint" my own rounds? Would that make it acceptable? (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/why-do ... ds.263188/)
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Copper

Post by Toepopper »

It is to your advantage to save all scraps of copper wire and also brass pieces such as old water faucets that perhaps have frozen and burst. Brass and bronze are also a valuable scrap commodity that can put cash in your wallet. I police up brass shell cases from the rifle range, even 22 cases and take them to the scrap yard. Last trip I had 3 full buckets of shell cases and a wheel barrow full of bright and shiny copper wire and got a check for $327.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Toepopper I actually have a friend who makes his living picking up old metal and selling it to the recycling yard. It is a private transaction with no record - they pay in cash and not by check. It is a good way to gather spending money under the radar (but legal).

What I was specifically talking about in this case is that some coin dealers are selling "copper eagles" now. They look exactly like a silver eagle but are copper and sell for about $1.99 each. One survivalist board I read was completely against buying "coins" because it would take a ton (by weight) to actually amount and would be pure hell toting around and storing.

:cowboy:
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Coins are good to have if you live in a place where you are not likely to be forced to leave. You can keep your coin stash and spend a few at a time but if for some reason you must leave, the weight of coins will limit how many you can take with you. Modern coins have a lot of copper in them and they will retain their full value unlike paper currency which may possibly lose its value.