bullion vs coins

fern
Patriot
Patriot

bullion vs coins

Post by fern »

Does anyone know if silver coins (pre 1965 and/or new) are a better option or value than silver bullion? I have been researching but have not found anything that specifically states either preference. If price determines...which is why I am asking...then silver coins are worth more. Most articles I have found concentrate on gold.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
side_job

Re: bullion vs coins

Post by side_job »

From all I have ever read the key to 'survival silver' is to make sure that whatever you get has the purity and weight struck into it. Supposedly the pre 65 coins have a certain percentage of silver in them, and may not be as readily excepted in times of economic crash due to the % having to be calculated. What I have is 1 troy ounce bullion, stamped as such, also stamped .999 pure. With the price of silver at nearly 18 an ounce yesterday, it is easy to see how valuable silver will be during an all on collapse of the dollar.
SJ
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

Silver coin does bring a premium because it has a face value. If you buy silver coins 1964 or earlier they will be 90% silver this includes Morgan or Peace dollars, Liberty, Franklin, Barber halves, quarters, dimes, all 90%. Some advantages to buy coin, it is easy to transport, you can spend it anywhere, and it will never be worth less than it’s face value. Not a problem in the foreseeable future. In a barter situation it is better to have small denominations of currency to deal with.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

NOTE: In a Collapse of the dollar or of the government : you will find that some people will still take paper dollars, and or credit cards , use this first. next you will want to use current coins, last go to trade in old us or other silver coins: but after everyone understands the system is gone, trade in real items work best Ammo, nails, tools, candles, We must understand Gold or silver only works if you still have a form of government?? In the end even Food would be the best money... Even been in a country under collapse asia, middle east etc.lots of money for a little food or water, people learn fast what they need ! 308gun :roll:
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

people have been using silver and gold for centuries to trade with, why would the collapse of the all mighty dollar make any difference. Jesus was betrayed for fourty pieces of silver.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

After spending money on silver bullion and then the new silver dollars...and then trying ebay and upillar...I have gotten a bit smarter in the silver (and a little bit in the gold) market. You are all probably way ahead of me in this process but I am going to share what I have learned anyway just in case.

I bought a few times from an online bullion firm..actually two of them because one offered lower prices and the other offered the 1 oz bars that could easily be broken into smaller sections. With shipping and their mark up, it was not a great deal (it would be at today's prices!). I found a local store that would sell silver dollars at the same price as bullion and saved the shipping. Liked that for a while but then I reread Patriots and Rawles newest book and decided I needed more pre 1965 coins. That is when I tried ebay and upillar and, although I purchased a few good deals, it still wasn't what I felt it could be bought for. Plus I think ebay could become addictive and I steer clear of that feeling.

I stopped at one of those giant flea markets that seem to be popular in the rural areas 2 hours+ north of Pittsburgh and started the process of getting a little smarter. The first trip, I bought several Morgans in excellent shape for $14 each. I thought that was good but I studied everything that I saw there (really old coins that I had never seen!) and went home and started "clicking the watch button" for a lot of those coins on ebay and studying their values (silver and market) until I came up with my own personal cheat sheet of what I would be willing to pay based on silver content value only. My cheat sheet has a short list of high value coins with dates/mint marks just in case I ever come across one. I would immediately turn around and sell or trade it for more silver.

I took my cheat sheet back to that flea market with $200 in my pocket and adrenalin pumping to negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. I came home with 5 1990 Silver Dollars, 7 Morgans, 7 Peace dollars, a roll of buffalo nickels (per Rawles - save your nickels!), 2 1964 Kennedy halves, 8 sitting Liberty quarters, and a box of 50 9MM. He through in 9 Indian Head pennies. I was so excited! I immediately took those old quarters and pennies to a city coin shop and traded them for 2 rolls of pre 1965 Roosevelt dimes. That means I now have 7+ oz of silver dimes for the minimal cost of 8 sitting Liberty quarters and 9 Indian Head pennies all from the 1800's. I have eyed up my next target for the next time I have money to spend. I really think I can do even better. I just go with that day's silver value minus the markup and negotiate down from there by piling up what I want and offering my dream price. It only takes haggling after that. I have discovered these coin folks have had these coins forever so they are making a darn good return even when I am saving. It is a win win!

I was truly amazed that 13 dimes or 3 half dollars or 6 quarters weigh more than a new silver dollar so I have learned though this and hope to get better at it. Of course I am only trying to master silver coins and not collectible coins so it is much easier.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I cannot purchase any of the precious metals now sincew I have no income but, that doesn't stop me from learning more about it.
Based on all of the various conversations about what is best to have, bullion vs. coins, diversity is the watchword.
Buy an assortment of precious metal, small bars, large bars, coins of various denominations, jewelry especially.
Some of the discussions I have read indicate that any and all precious metals will be valued as if they are just jewelry, not bullion, bars or bricks. Coins have their own value aside from face or collection value but, I'm not positive about that.
I believe that the best precious metal variety to have is some of everything.
Sadly, the best I have right now is a small amount of gold and some silver in different forms, mostly jewelry and a large quantity of metal that not everyone realizes is a precious metal on its own. Copper. I have pounds and pounds of that metal and it will be worth something in a fallen economy. Not as much as gold or silver but, something.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I know nothing about jewelry! I do not think this is an area that I would want to attempt to get into. I think I would get burned more often than not. I cannot tell gold from fake in jewelry and I certainly could not tell white gold from silver or silver coated whatever. How important is jewelry? If I had something to sell, I would be very hesitant to accept jewelry just from my own lack of knowledge. Gem stones are another area that I have no knowledge of. Is this important to know???
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Jewelry is simply a different form of precious metals; gold, silver, platinum, etc.
For purchasing, it's probably best to buy from an established dealer so that you can get documentation and provenance of the jewelry. Purchasing from an individual would set you up for potential scams.
In my travels, I have often been approached at rest stops by individuals attempting to sell me "gold" jewelry either because they just are trying to sell it or, most often, they claim they are in need of fuel or repair for their car and want to sell the "gold" to pay for the repairs or fuel. Those approaches start a very loud alarm with me and I never conduct business with them.
I have bought jewelry, for my wife not as a "hedge", from national chain retailers, local private retailers and one individual who deals exclusively with silver jewelry who has been in business at the same location for about as long as I have been alive. I have learned that he and the others are trustworthy so, i have purchased from them when I have a desire to buy my wife some more jewelry.
As far as gems goes, I'm not extremely familiar with gemstones except for the ones I have purchased as part of the jewelry gifted to my wife. Gems and jewels definitely have value but, can be faked or misrepresented if the purchaser is not familiar with them as an experienced gemologist or jeweler would be. One possible way of gaining an advantage would be to carry a jeweler's loupe with you to closely examine any gemstones you may be interested in purchasing. If the seller is a scrupulous dealer, they shouldn't have a problem with that. If they're a con artist they may get nervous and try to distract you or refuse to allow an examination. I don't know if this will actually work but, it's worth a try.
The type of gemstone also matters, some have more value than others, diamonds for instance.
Others do not have much value and could possibly be used in a scam, cubic zirconia for instance.
Others it just matters what they are and what the buyer wants; rubies, sapphires, opal, amethyst, etc.
This is where having sufficient knowledge of the subject, and/or documentation and provenance, can be your best assets in dealing with gemstones and jewelry in general.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I have some truly beautiful pieces of jewelry that my much better half has bought for me. They sit in my jewelry box that he also bought me because I don't wear it. I don't even wear my wedding rings. I don't like the feel of stuff on me. I feel like I am choking with a necklace on and I am afraid of losing stones out of rings, earrings, etc. I could never be a guy that had to wear a tie! I will put it on a couple of times a year when we have something special to go to and that is it. I still think I will steer clear of this area. It just seems like a lot to learn so you don't burn and I have so many other things to be reading up on. I am still working on silly little coins! : )
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I can't remember the names but, there are numerous tomes on the subject of numismatics, coin collecting.
One of those can help in your quest for knowledge about coins in general. There may be sections devoted to specific coins and there are general sections for information on how to "grade" coins as to their collector's worth plus, there will be somewhat current prices for the collectible coins including info about metal content so that you can know just what and how much is that coins alloy.
I suggest searching for "numismatics" or "coin collecting guides" to get more info than you can use from the interwebs.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I had some bullion silver coins i unloaded last week at pawn shop , not gover-mints types the bullion has poor value still , guy kept asking about my coins said saving that he would give me more , so bullion still is a bad way to go and it will be very hard to prove the value or silver content of such...I am keeping real coins ..
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Well I hope if they are stamped by a reputable us mint and marked 1 troy oz of .999 silver it will make a difference! If not, errr...
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I got more that market value at the pawn shop , my stuff was dated , sealed , and mint condition, and the guy looked it up on internet , but later I am saying as trade how can you know what you are getting(it hits the fan) , also both China and Germany have got FAKE Gold bars that were from Clinton era , and came from USA/FORT KNOX .... not hearing any more on that but even governments can be fooled , so this may be a better time to unload the Bullion and get USA COINS ETC....
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

What you're saying about the possibility of fake metals being introduced into the world 308gun is now one of the reasons I am not such a fan of purchasing large quantities of precious metals as a hedge against inflation or as a trade medium in a PAW. I have not really been a big fan of investing in PMs in any case since they may not be as useful as some claim them to be. Precious metals may not have as much value as many seem to believe simply because those metals are not quite so useful as other items will be.
I would much rather lay in a large supply of salt or seeds or fishhooks as lay up a large supply of gold bullion, jewelry or coin, they're infinitely more useful after the fall.
Not to say that having precious metals is a bad thing, those will have some use in a PAW, I just don't see much use except for a short period in the beginning.
And, if I could, I'd obtain some precious metals for those just in case moments when whoever I'm working/bartering with wants those precious metals as payment for whatever and won't accept my salt, seeds or fishhooks. I wonder how that will work out in the long run.
In any case, diversity is still the watchword, have some of everything you can get your hands on, you'll likely need it at some point. I'm concentrating on those immediately useful items, precious metals will just have to be what I already have.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Providing you have the means to protect it, bullion (or ingots) may be a way to build and maintain a wealth system in a post-collapse situation.

For everyday transactions, though, small silver coins would probably be the most practical and as Willy says, bartering supplies. Barter will be the most common method of commerce. If you come upon a country fair and they are selling loaves of bread you can't purchase a loaf with a gold ingot and ask for change. For the most part, small sellers will be dealing with small denominations or other things THEY need.
“Two is one, one is none”
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I was told that silver coins were still 40% silver until 1969. Is this correct? I thought it was only half dollars after 1964. I do not find anything about it on line but someone said they buy them at coin shows.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Negatory. Silver dollars and Kennedy half dollars have silver in them and the halves silver content varies with different years. All quarters and dimes since 1964 are junk metals. SS5R knows all the facts on this topic and maybe he will chime in.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Best I know is that coins 1964 and earlier have a very high silver content alloy if not pure silver. After '64 the silver content is reduced in many of them a bit every year until nowadays, like pennies and copper plating, silver coins may be only silver plated if at all. Likely they're just a shiny metal plating with no precious metal to them whatsoever.
Pennies have been copper plated zinc for the longest time but zinc has been increasing in price for awhile to where the mint is losing scads of money on the lowly penny, nickels haven't been nickel since about 1964 or so and we know about silver coins.
With all of that, I wonder if there will be a subsequent push by our government to move to a "world currency" but use a plastic card to make the actual transactions instead of trading cash for purchases.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit as that would be an excellent way for our "elite leaders" to keep tabs on all of us. And don't forget for controlling us as well. We do something "they" don't like, "they" cut off our purchasing ability and we're left high and dry. Do as "they" say and you can remain a member of society.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

that is the one item that the NWO wants is control of all TRADE , silver, gold, coins , will only help , AFTER the S--- if we make it and are rebuilding........ get some , but water, and food may be better and ammo can be used as money in hard times , you can not use the RFID at Walmart, to get your ammo if blood is in the streets.a good sign is ever one in the EU is starting to get nationlist longings, that could brind down the NWO, so watch the far east , CHINA is buying all the gold, silver and metals it can get !!!!and JAPAN is longing for it's glory days.......
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

The NWO boys tried to implement the cashless society in Argentina a few years ago and the people went ballistic, rioting in the streets etc and absolutely would not go along with the program. The banksters had to back down. Are the people in our country dumb enough to let this happen here? I don't think so, and one result would be the implamentation of a massive underground economy, people trading commodities and swapping labor transactions. The tax boys would have a fit trying to control that mess.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

The "B" word!

Barter
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Hey, I do that "B" word now anyway. Much better than tradin' cash for anything. Plus, I can never run out of skill etc.