Recognizable Silver Coins for Bartering

FLPrepper

Recognizable Silver Coins for Bartering

Post by FLPrepper »

I have been accruing silver coins for years and I believe strongly that precious metals will continue to hold value even if SHTF. They have been valued for over 6000 years - no reason to think that is going to change anytime soon. Go out and get yourself some 90% silver coins, but don't just buy any coins. Yes, Washington quarters, Roosevelt dimes and even Kennedy halves minted before 1965 are 90% silver. However, these coins were also made in 1965 and beyond and aren't quite as recognizable to those less familiar with coins. Buy mercury dimes and Franklin halves - people recognize them easily and are generally more attracted to them making them better barter tools when the time comes.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Recognizable Silver Coins for Bartering

Post by Toepopper »

Even late date non silver coins will retain their value better than paper currency. Junk silver coins are getting hard to find here on the left coast. Don't worry, the cashless society will save the economy. :wink:
308gun

Post by 308gun »

The market in my area is dried up , I have some coins, and find coin dealer prices to be SKY high.
FLPrepper

Post by FLPrepper »

It is very tough to find 90% near spot these days. When silver was $30 you could do it all day. Definitely a strong premium for mercurys around here - I only grab them when they are reasonably priced.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

I've been on an eagle-buying (and others) regimen for quite a while and I thought it was time I acquired some Washingtons. About 10 days ago I bought 5 rolls of quarters and my coin dealer has put away 5 rolls of dimes for me also. I have some tenth-ounce rounds already but I'm going to get some more to supplement the junk silver. I generally stay away from full-ounce rounds limiting it to eagles.
“Two is one, one is none”