4.6 MM Round

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

4.6 MM Round

Post by Toepopper »

The Belgian and German gun manufacturers have been developing a new class of ammunition to replace the venerable 9mm cartridge. The engineers at FN in Belgium came out with the 5.7 x 28 mm cartridge in 1993 for the newest FN pistol while the German company of H&K released their competitor round, the 4.6 x 30 mm for use in the MP-7 personal defense weapon, in 1999. These new rounds are tiny and the idea is to be able to carry much more ammunition with you. The 4.6 mm comes in 5 different versions from a 42 grain FMJ (2000 FPS & 401 Ft Lbs of energy, to a light weight 26 grain copper plated steel core A.P. "Combat Steel" round travelling at 2380 FPS with 330 Ft Lbs of energy. The AP rounds are designed to penetrate body armor at a distance of 200 yards. Bullet diameter is only .183" and at these light weights I would imagine a stiff cross wind will deflect these bullets off target. The H&K MP7 were issued to German troops serving in Afghanistan as a test to see how well they performed and how effective the ammunition actually is.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: 4.6 MM Round

Post by Watchman »

Toe will you explain that to a dumb s*** like me? I have two 9mm pistolas. Does that mean the pistols will be obsolete or is this ammo made for the same guns?
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper

Re: 4.6 MM Round

Post by Toepopper »

Right now the only pistol I can find being sold in the USA are made by Fabrique National in Belgium and they fire the 5.7 mm round. Same type of pistol as the 9 mm version. I have fired the 5.7 at a range and wasn't impressed. They are high velocity but not much knock down power. I think they are trying to develop a round that works in both pistol and assault rifle's to lessen the logistics problems involved in field distribution. NATO ran tests on the 5.7 mm and decided not to adapt it as their universal round, keeping the 5.56 mm instead. The 4.6 mm is in the same category but the only weapon currently available is the H&K MP7. The 9mm has been around for as long as the 45 ACP so I doubt if your pistol will become obsolete anytime soon.