STAIRWELL STORAGE SHELF

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

STAIRWELL STORAGE SHELF

Post by Toepopper »

Do you have a staircase that runs down to a basement or cellar? Take a quick look at it and notice all the empty space above the stairs. There is enough room for a small closet and it is all being wasted. I converted this wasted space into a practical easily accessable storage space and have a pallet of toilet paper stored there high and dry and out of the way.
I began this project by locating where the studs were behind the drywall and marking each one with a pencil. I had to use a step ladder to mark the studs in the back, setting the ladder on the third step from the bottom. Then I snapped a level line four feet above the top step. Next I ripped a 4x4 down to 3" wide and the length of this timber was 7 feet so it would fit on the wall horizontally. I took measurements and drilled pilot holes into/through this timber so that the studs would be directly behind the pilot holes. My wife held one end while I screwed 6" long deck screws through the pilot holes in the 3 by and into the studs, setting a 4' level on top to make sure it was level. Did the same procedure on the opposite wall after leveling across so both timbers would be level and paralell to each other. It was an awkward balancing act on the ladder but the screws went in easy after dipping the tips in linseed oil. Next we went to Home Depot and bought some toolbox wheels, the wide kind rated at carrying 400 pounds each. These wheels were mounted on the bottom of a 2x4 frame which was sheated with a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood. After wrestling this wheeled platform into place without banging up the walls, it set on top of the 3by rails and slides in and out like an oversized drawyer. You can reach into the staircase area and pull the shelf towards you to load or retrieve your goods and then slide it back out of the way so you don't bang your head on it when going down the stairs. After witnessing that it functioned properly I removed the sliding shelf and painted it the same color as the staircase hallway and put it back in place. Very convenient easy to get to out of the way utilization of some wasted space. Took about 7 hours to complete at the pace of an old man.