Deconstruction

bee_pipes

Deconstruction

Post by bee_pipes »

We have an acquaintance that wants an old trailer dragged away to salvage. Before it can be moved, a front deck and back porch needed to be torn down. We reached an agreement and are tearing down the porch for lumber and other salvage. So far we have gotten some really nice wood from this project. Lots of 2x6 and 2x8 in lengths ranging from 8 to 16 feet. Everything has to be de-nailed, a time consuming process, and if you are worried about how much your time is worth it may be a losing proposition. But we are retired and the value of the lumber makes this cost-effective for us.

Along with the lumber was a goodly amount of metal roofing. It is dinged up, bent in places and has holes where someone was none too gentle in removing it, but still quite serviceable. A ramp pulled from the porch served as a good working area, and the metal roofing was straightened out with a rubber mallet and small piece of wood. When using the roofing, holes were plugged with silicone caulk after cleaning the area around the hole with rubbing alchohol.

We used a small amount of wood and roofing to build a new chicken pen. The pen was an expedient - we have 24 meat chickens that quickly outgrew the temporary pen we placed them in after brooding. The pen consists of a two-sided structure, built onto an existing chicken house and fence. Normally, I would go as cheap as possible on something like this because cost would be an overriding concern. With salvage lumber I was able to use a quality I would not normally be able to afford. This devil should last us a while.

We purchased wire (left over from another project), staples, and had (3) new 2x4 left over from an earlier project. The rest of it was made from salvaged lumber.

(mozilla/firefox users right-click view image for larger picture)

Regards,
Pat
flatwater

Re: Deconstruction

Post by flatwater »

I love using used anything to build with. I built a shooting shack and a 14X20 extension to the cabin using the siding I salvaged from a tear down project we had when we built a new addition to our church. Pulling nails is nothing to pulling long staples ( 10 to a board) The siding was A#1 lap ceder siding and was well worth it.
WillyPete

Re: Deconstruction

Post by WillyPete »

I have a house I've been renovating off and on for awhile that has an old shed in the back. I'm going to deconstruct this shed and since I've seen your ideas, I'll build a couple of hunting blinds out of it at the property I hunt. It would sure beat dragging my climber in and out every time I go there. Might actually assist with the harvesting of game too since I won't be disturbing the critters so much walking in every pre-dawn. :D