Alarm animals

Look in 'Joseph's Storehouse' for meat animals.
WillyPete

Alarm animals

Post by WillyPete »

Have you ever considered animals that can alert you to potential troubles?
I'm sure most folks think of dogs right off but I'm thinking of another animal that can be both an alarm and a food source without consuming the animal itself.
A home near where I live has several guinea hens roaming around their property. Guinea hens and peacocks have both been used as alarm "sirens" in both middle eastern countries and far eastern countries. My main memory was a movie, I think the title was "Midnight Express" about a college student who was caught smuggling marijuana or heroin at a Turkish airport. He was taken to a prison that had human guards but, it also had guinea fowl as the main escape deterrent. If anyone were to be outside of the buildings anywhere on the property after their curfew, the guinea fowl would start screaming loudly and the guards on post would turn to that direction to see what was upsetting the birds. If they saw a person and identified that they were a prisoner, the prisoner was shot right aff with no chance of a reprieve. Serious deterrent there. These birds are territorial so they would be attentive to their area and, they can likely learn who belongs to them so that they wouldn't alarm on them. At least I think this can happen.
I also remember reading various articles about prisoners during the Vietnam War, those prisoner camps also used guinea fowl as alarms.
Anyway, guinea hens also will produce eggs. Eggs, that if left unfertilized, can be eaten just like any other egg. I've nto seen one up close lately so I can't say how many would be needed to make a decent sized omelet.
If a peacock is around, the eggs would get fertilized more likely than not but that can be useful to increase the size of the flock. They will usually find their own food which can be supplemented with other items, possibly the same items a regular chicken could eat.
So, guinea fowl, food and alarm, good working combination I'd say.
SS5R

Re: Alarm animals

Post by SS5R »

About two blocks from my house someone has a Russian goose and you cannot get within 50 yards of that house before he goes off. He will run to the 3-foot cyclone fence at anything that walks by person or dog and will not stop until you are gone, he can be heard for blocks.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Geese are another good alarm animal. And they hurt when they attack!

Don't ask.
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

oh willy pete.. i take it you've had an unsettling run in.. lol

Where we used to live in VA a neighbor down the road from moms house had 3 guinea fowl/peacocks.. you could drive near the house and they would run into the street to stop you.. I once had to go to their house for something and he had to wrangle them up because he said they sometimes attack hehe.. Settling eh?
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Nah, not unsettling, just a vicious bird.
If it was mine, it would have been Sunday dinner instead of an alarm. :po'd:
cowboy38229

Post by cowboy38229 »

totally self-sufficient birds but ive never seen one attack anything accept junebugs annd ticks . as long as you have trees close to your house for them to roost in nothing will walk in your yard at night without you knowing it.