Goose berries

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Goose berries

Post by Toepopper »

Two years ago I decided to plant some goose berry plants. They are supposedly packed with vitamins and nutrients, require very little maintenance and are easy to grow. I planted two varieties, "Oregon Champ" and "Pixwell" . The Pixwell has less thorns on the branches so picking the fruit is easier on the hands. Oregon Champ produces a red fruit which is not as tart as the green fruit of the Pixwell. These plants grow fast and turn into a hedge in just one year. I had so many berries I had to string up horizontal wires to support the branches and keep them off the ground. The berries ripen in July after red raspberries are done and before black raspberries are ready to pick so gooseberries fill the void. This is a good crop for older people, after planting you just sit back and watch them grow.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Goose berries

Post by Watchman »

Can't say I have ever knowingly ate a goose berry. How are they?
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper

Re: Goose berries

Post by Toepopper »

They were originally brought to North America from England. The berries are about the size of a grape with smooth skin and the texture is similar to a grape. Kind of tart but you can eat them raw and make pies or muffins with no sugar needed. We make muffins or bread with a mixture of goose berries and black raspberries for sweetness. I have never seen them for sale in any store.