My beehive

bobpick

My beehive

Post by bobpick »

I'm in the process of making a top-bar beehive. 3 feet long, and should be ready to go by the weekend. Wish my luck!
bee_pipes

Re: My beehive

Post by bee_pipes »

Need a cutting pattern for the plywood? PM me with your email and I can send it to you.

We have managed to get it down to 1 sheet of plywood and a few 2x4's. Takes us about two days for construction and painting.

Regards,
Pat
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

I'm using the pattern from www.biobees.com, they have a d/l on a PDF. I started yesterday and will finish up today. I told the missus it's for the garden, which it is! :)
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

I put better legs on my TBH today, and using the wax from Beepipes, coated the top bars with beeswax. That wax gets PRETTY DARN HOT!

Now looking for some bee attractant...
bee_pipes

Post by bee_pipes »

bobpick wrote: Now looking for some bee attractant...
Pheromone Lure

Lures contain a scent (pheromone) which insects use to communicate. This lure duplicates the scent that scout bees release when they find a good home for their swarm. There is enough scent to last about three months and the special plastic container releases just the right amount. This lure formula is made up of 3 components...proven most effective by USDA research. Lure actually measures 2 3/4" long.

This is from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. I have had good luck with these folks. They are prompt. Based in North Carolina.

Regards,
Pat
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

Thanks... I'll look at it today!
bee_pipes

Post by bee_pipes »

Haven't cracked the top yet, but there is quite a bit of activity on nice days. Must be a whole crew of newbies - they seem to wander around the place like a new package. A better beekeeper than me would have pollen patties out for them. They have been seen around construction projects sorting through sawdust looking for pollen. Right now we're trying to get the rabbit shed finished - one more wall left to cover. After that there's the carburetor for the sawmill and fluid changes for the ATV. Three supers still remain on the langstroth hives from last season. They had frames in them that were not complete and the bees never robbed or filled the frames, so we will no doubt have brood in those frames.

Spring seems well on the way. Some weeds are blooming out there and the bees are working them, we just haven't had the explosion of the first nectar flow yet. After the dogwood winter, I'm a little hesitant about cutting loose - expecting the last freeze has not occurred yet.

My condolences to our northern members.

Regards,
Pat
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

I have ordered the bee lure and a few other items. Can't wait...