Regarding Wood Supply

Heating and cooking with wood, a renewable energy source. Harvesting and storing wood for use; types of wood; methods of splitting. Everything about wood.
Watchman
Foreman

Regarding Wood Supply

Post by Watchman »

I once (over 20 years ago) made mention to a friend in jest, 'you can measure a man's wealth by the size of his wood pile.' Little did I think that might come to pass. We don't buy wood but glean it from wherever we can, including cutting permits for a nearby national forest. Right now, spring, is when we start for next year's heating. It ain't going to get easier folks. We scrounge pallets and cut them up during the spring, summer and fall. Now is the time to start working on next year's wood supply!
“Two is one, one is none”
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Regarding Wood Supply

Post by Watchman »

Just had our chimney cleaned. Usually it is an every-year thing - just wanna play safe - but this time it was two years. Tim, the chimney sweep, said 'your chimney is in excellent shape!' I told him that I burn most wood pallets that we cut up and he said 'that is why'. They burn hot and are very dry [cured] and there is little creosote build-up from them. And, they are free. My truck driver son said to stay away from those pallets that have the ends painted blue or green, which means they are treated wood. I also trust my sniffer and when we're cutting, if I detect a strong petroleum smell, they don't go in for firewood. They are used for firewood, but at my grandson's campsite when he is [elk, deer, or bear] hunting. I have a separate area where I stack this unusable wood for him.
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Those who have a fireplace have it made as far as heating during fall and winter, I'm stuck with an all electric house. My last house had both a fireplace and a really good woodstove.
But, I am a jack of all trades, master of many and I can build a fireplace in my home from scrounged materials here and there, not necessarily block and mortar but sheet metal and iron. If I have to, I can probably find a woodstove somewhere nearby and set it up pretty quick.
Wood supplies are all over around here, mostly softwoods as far as the eye can see but there are some decent sized hardwoods thrown in every so often.
side_job

Post by side_job »

I have pondered this for quite a while. Our home is gas heat. During the ice storm this year, we did fine with heat because we ran the generator. But, my area is a seismically active one, and has the potential for a catastrophic quake. My thoughts are that this would greatly impact the natural gas supply system, and we would be in the cold. So, I made mention to my wife just last week that I was going to try to find a modest sized wood burner that would look nice enough, and give some added warmth (but more importantly would be a back up to the back up plan) and I noticed in the local paper, a rank of wood delivered for 35. So I hope to get that lined up before the true cold sets in.

One other thing I was thinking about when I saw the add for wood. My parents were in a major ice storm years ago and were without power for a month. Their location at the time was a major metro area so there were several thousands literally freezing. Fortunately they had a fireplace, and some wood. But as the second and third day passes their wood supply ran out. My Dad had to drive nearly 2 hours before he could find a town that had any dried wood available. So, that got me to thinking. Even if I don't have a stove right now, I am considering building a wood supply to barter with should something happen to our financial system, or a major event that would take down the power grid.