B.O.B. Master list

308gun

Re: B.O.B. Master list

Post by 308gun »

You also want to think lite, reason if you hit any trouble , you may have to trash the whole works,, was in a very hard spot , as my unit was overrun , I trashed all gear except rifle,ammo,mags, even my water canteens had to go......... kept the K-bar knife as weapon of last resort.... If it can go wrong it will ,, Put a list in your head of survival skills to live of the land ,,it can be done ..... :roll:308gun BoB is ok for local storms as bag will be kept in a truck etc.. but on foot or on the run for your life ... it's what you have in your head that will help the most !
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Each scenario will be different for each individual based on their geographic location, climate and population density. There is no "one size fits all" type of bug out bag, so you must decide for yourselves what to take based on your age and if you have children with you, how fast you can walk, whether it is a hot summer season or winter, etc. The ideal situation is to be in a safe place so that you don't have to bug out to escape a bad event. People who live east of the rockies where the majority of the population lives will be faced with a different situation due to the greater numbers of people, so it may be harder to escape, and the winter weather will kill many. The ability to start a fire and keep warm will be the top priority with food procurement ( rifle, ammo, knife ) as second priority. How much food will you be able to pack on your back? Not enough to last very long without some sort of resupply or shooting a deer and knowing how to properly dress it. People who are a few pounds overweight will outlast the slim and trim types during a few days without food by burning off fat. I always carry some canned goods, drinking water, firestarter, several guns and ammo and a small keychain "John Wayne" type of C- ration can opener in the 4WD, just in case I get stuck somewhere. There aren't many people here so I am not worried about someone stealing my BOB. Another option is to pre-position some food etc ( if you live in a remote area) so you will have a place to take a break and fill your stomach. Small 3 gallon plastic pickle barrels with the screw on lids will work great for burying a small cache.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

My bob stays in my truck with,tools,weapons,cleaning gear,ammo etc. but the most usefull items to keep on you are a pocket knife, fire starter , and 2 or 3 large trash bags and good field/hunting Knife and or 12 ft. para cord ... review the old movie about RAMBO , he is on the run from everyone, only has a knife, wounded he finds old junked car/ and later a cave this supplies all his needs (not wants)! I will do a dvd review of a survival mine set and skills you need to stay alive... My first rule of survival there are no rules ,, break all the laws, rules, what ever it takes and you may make it WITH GOD's help ,, our life is not all in our own hands......... more later . 308gun
308gun

Post by 308gun »

One very important item to add is large trash bags, lots of uses such as can be used as poncho/makedo coat, can be filled with leaves/pine neddles to be a bed/blanket, and can be used to put food or human waste in.. also some pera cord /rope lots of repairing, lots of items can be made such as makeshift tents, shelters, and always have a good pocket knife...maybe a good compass... or some outdoor/camp cooking pots/cups perfer steel.. and some coffee always for me... hope this helps .. 308gun :P
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I've reviewed your list a few times and what I'm seeing and sensing is that your "Master List" is more for a hunker down situation than a GOOD situation.
The vast majority of your items I see are too much to carry on a bugout run, you did get it right with buggin' lite. The rest may be better used by stowing them in a cache at a desirable location to be used once you've bugged and gotten there.

I would think that just for buggin' out you'd do well with having a small first aid kit, a travel bar of soap and a small roll of toilet tissue, I've seen short usage rolls in camping sections of some stores, a few pair of socks and some skivvies, your passport and other ID, a small hatchet, some fire starting methods, a fixed blade knife in your kit and a folder in your pocket, a decent flashlight and some batteries or a wind up flashlight, though I do find that wind up lights are only good for close up illumination because of the LEDs, a regular light bulb flashlight will shine for a farther distance, some rope or para cord some chore gloves, a "space blanket or two and some contractor garbage bags because those are awful large. Unless you already have a good tube tent.
And of course, your Bible. Foodstuffs is dependent on your needs, MREs can be used just as well as other items. I keep granola bars handy for my kits
because they're full of calories and nutrients and they take up little space in my kit.

This bunch of goods can be easily carried to your destination with out weighing you down and causing you travel difficulties, it will all fit an a moderate sized pack to allow for rapid and easy travel and it covers most of your immediate needs.

Weapons are a different discussion but, they should be considered. I definitely recommend keeping it "real" when it comes to packing weapons, you will not be carrying your arsenal, you can't do it. Be sensible about it and don't overload yourself so much that you clank when you stagger through the wilds cause you assuredly will not be running if you are overloaded.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I used a small clay-more bag that was made to carry 2 clay-more mines, that is about the size for a personal bug-out-bag that you would carry on your person... a bigger b-o-b can be carried in your truck or car. I say have that bag already made up and put it in your truck now,,, with that it only can travel with the truck/car that can be be used or lelt , counting on what troubles you may or may not run into.... but the little personal bag (say even a old gas mask bag ) you want the lite items , small first aid(made your own) couple big wound wrapes, wound dressing, put it in a zip-lock sandwish bag... next some para-cord/lite rope, trash bags, fire-starters(3 or 4 pack of disposable lighters) will give many hundrerds of fires..put in sandwish bag too,,, next some lite food break-up a mre pack and take out parts that are the main meal , carry 2 or 3 in zip-lock bag,, and some candy/energy bars in zip-lock bags,, and canteen or a fold-up cup and water tabs... thats lite....if you still want compass(GI-type) small local map in zip-lock bag.... :wink:
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I am not sure a bug out bag is the proper place for this list of thoughts...but where is the proper place...and how many of these items are truly necessary?

Titles - autos, motorcycles, trailers, etc
Deeds - along with any proof of value or appraisals?
Will/Trust docs -
Licenses - Drivers, Marriage, industry/work licenses, hunting, etc
Pet records -
Insurance policies - all types, life, health, auto, home
Military records -
Diplomas, transcripts -
Medical files - Immunization records too?
Tax Receipts -
Child custody/adoption -

Would there ever be a need for bank contact info and account numbers for hopefully only debt items? What about doctors, pharmacies, etc? I would think it would be all gone but if you were to find yourself in a situation with "them", would this info be needed? What if you are self employed...are there docs you may one day need that should be considered now.

Is any of this necessary, perhaps not for us, but for our kids or am I just being overly positive?
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
acet7

Post by acet7 »

I had downloaded this a few years ago http://www.knowyourstuff.org/iii/login.html because I live in FL w/ hurricanes. I don’t think I had to register back then but you do now, but it's free software. It helps you document your belongings. I took pictures of everything including pets w/ their micro chip code and vaccination records. Then I saved the file and sent it to my hotmail acct. So I could get it from anywhere w/ power in case of a disaster/hurricane.