12 Boxes of Aqua Blox Water Boxes
24 - 200 Calorie Food Bars
20 Water Purification Tablets

Light and Communication:
Am/Fm Radio with Headphones and Batteries
Rechargeable Squeeze Flashlight -
30 Hour Emergency Candle - can also be used as a stove
Green Emergency Glow Stick - lasts for 24 hours
5-in-1 Survival Whistle - compass, signal mirror, flint starter, waterproof container, lanyard, and shrill whistle
Box of 50 Waterproof Matches
Bic Style Lighter

Shelter and Warmth:
2 Emergency Survival Sleeping Bags
2 - 16 Hour Body Warmers
2-Person Tube Tent with Rope
2 Emergency Ponchos with Hood

Tools:
16 Function Knife
Leather Palm Working Gloves
2 N95 Respirator Dust Masks
60 Feet of Nylon Rope

Hygiene and Sanitation:
2 Hygiene Kits - Includes soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, and 9 wet wipes.
6 Pocket Tissue Packs

First Aid:
42 Piece Bandage First Aid Kit - Contains 42 Pieces - 10 Spot Bandages, 10 Sheer Junior, 5 Sheer Medium, 5 Sheer Strips, 2 Antibacterial, 3Clear Strips, 2 Fabric Strips, 1 Extra Large, 2 Alcohol Pads, and 2 Gauze Pads&
Guardian First Aid Essentials Kit - 1 Trauma Dressing (5"x9"), 3 Sunscreen Lotion Packs, 1 Sting Relief Prep Pad, 1 Burn Cream Pack, 4 Non-Aspirin Tablets, 4 Antacid Tablets, 4 Ibuprofen Tablets, 1 Lip Ointment Pack, 1 Antibiotic Ointment Pack, 1 Pair of Vinyl (non latex) Gloves, 2 Finger Splints, 10 Cotton Tip Applicators, 1 Roll of First Aid Tape, 1 Roll of Gauze Dressing, and a First Aid Instruction Guide

Other:
Deck of playing cards for entertainment
Infectious Waste Bag
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

I pretty much have what you listed here, but I have a couple questions. What are AQUA BLOX WATER BOXES ? I have never heard of them. Also have no idea what a 16 hour body warmer is , Can you explain / describe these items? Another valuable item to have on you is a fabric or cotton belt with a slide lock type buckle that can be used as a tournaquet in an emergency.
Toepopper
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

Aqua blocks are small containers of water, each containing 8 oz of water. Many of the Coast Guard approved water are only 6 oz.

Are you familiar with the hand warmers? The body warmers are for your body, you just put them on different parts of your body.

I like your idea about the belt. In the Navy we were told to se the belt in the same way, as well as to use it to pull a person being electrocuted away from the power.
fritz_monroe

Post by fritz_monroe »

Good list. The coast guard water bags that came in my 72-hour kit were actually only 4.7 oz. I just got that, and will be adding some stuff.

And are your numbers based on 2 people?
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

The numbers are for one person!
fritz_monroe

Post by fritz_monroe »

Just based the guess on the 2 emergency blankets, 2 dust masks and 2 ponchos.

Have you considered Polar Pure instead of the water purification tablets? The tablets are affected by temperature and they degrade after being opened. The Polar Pure is just iodine crystals. Has an unlimited shelf life if the container is tightly closed and isn't affected by heat.
bobpick

Post by bobpick »

Pretty much whatever you have available is the best thing, or if you have a preference. A bag should be personalized to the owner.

I have a Bible in mine. Never leave home without a sword.
Canine

Post by Canine »

Well I like to see THE sword as the first line of defence............ However from a physical standpoint what might you consider living in you kit for defense?
Greylock

Post by Greylock »

[quote="fritz_monroe"]Just based the guess on the 2 emergency blankets, 2 dust masks and 2 ponchos.

Have you considered Polar Pure instead of the water purification tablets? The tablets are affected by temperature and they degrade after being opened. The Polar Pure is just iodine crystals. Has an unlimited shelf life if the container is tightly closed and isn't affected by heat.[/quote]

Whatever water purification chemical you choose - be very VERY sure you tolerate it. I cannot use Iodine because I am allergic to it.

I can use chlorine and so my personal kit is built around that chemical.

Before you NEED to chemically purify water, you need to do a trial run to be sure your chosen chemical will work for you. And you need to be careful - while making the test - that you take precautions to be sure you don't injure yourself. I strongly recommend having anti-histamine and another person on hand to administer it if you have a problem.
308gun

Bug outs !

Post by 308gun »

I keep small survival kit in all truck, SUV, also gun clean kits, ammo supply, and Rossi single shot 20 ga. and 223 rem. as may be no time to pack and what you have on hand may be it ????????? , also keep drinking water , oil , and full tool kit at all times , also good K-BAR knife . :D
308gun

Re: What a good bag should have...

Post by 308gun »

I have added the Red cross Kit that has all the basics but is a big cavas bag , so I added can food, botte water , pocket knife, candles , matches , soap , hat, coins, cup, plastic ware , and bible , small survival handbook.... and double my carry ammo supply ! :D 308gun
skipm

Post by skipm »

I am a little surprised that no one mentioned a change of clothing or at least dry socks. A jacket or sweatshirt is also most welcome to me or a coat if weather conditions make that necessary.
For a firearm my choice would be a handgun first with a rifle as a back-up to be used for food.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

THANKS : I do carry extra boots,and socks, and jacket for work, but will add pair of jeans and shirts:to the kit .. forgot that ! and I have a cheap poncho also for work . :shock: 308gun
BillHicks

Post by BillHicks »

A good bag, in my opinion should also have a few of the following: prescription pain medication, there might be times when aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen won't work too well. A good one would be Tramadol, is not an opiate, and has none of the adverse side effects of opiates. Also have a good selection of antibiotics for general use. Talk to your family physician let him know you are making up an extended use care kit and normally they will give you the prescriptions. Once the medication expiration dates come around take them back to your Dr. show him you haven't used any and he will refill your prescription.

Another good thing to have on hand that I have never seen mentioned is a good supply of brewers yeast. Not only do any known harmful pathogens live on/in "beer", but brewers yeast is highly nutritious and high in complex B vitamins. Take a couple of tablespoons dissolved in water a day and see what happens to your energy. Aside from the nutrition stand point, if the SHTF, then a simple knowledge of brewing might come in handy as a side trade.
mjb9947

Post by mjb9947 »

I've got my bag ready, now I'm working on one for my five year old. I also plan on attaining a compact verion of the Constitution and a bible to include in mine.
Cusingeorge

Post by Cusingeorge »

I noted the comment about prescription pain killers, good idea. To add to this, we went to our daughter's doctor and asked for a three month supply of her meds (chronically ill) and we rotate them through her regular regiment of meds, so they never go bad.

Another is a planned route to our homestead in another state. I travel quite a bit for work and if things go south, my family will already know where to meet me and at what time so we can continue to our homestead together.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I always have a Russi combo rifle/shotgun in 223 Rem/12Ga. in my suv , so as never get caught with out something / plus gun cleaning kit, lots ammo , hand ax, K-bar knife .also Greg Evensen (war vet/cop) has Dvd at (www.theheartlandusa.com) going all out on survival/ weapons training etc... news with views and Greg say we have 2weeks to 2 months to get ready too............. :shock:
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I just picked up one of these at a local hardware store I visit every now and again. It was clearance priced so I grabbed it and I found an extra wood blade at another store so I grabbed it. Not bad for a bag if I need one.

http://www.knivesplus.com/wyoming-knife ... -wsbc.html
Rman

Post by Rman »

I wood also add a portable stove and fuel. I have 2 different types with different fuels.
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

Here is a web site where you might find some interesting things for your bug out bags. I believe its government contract leftovers. http://www.countycomm.com
WillyPete

Re:

Post by WillyPete »

bobpick wrote:Pretty much whatever you have available is the best thing, or if you have a preference. A bag should be personalized to the owner.

I have a Bible in mine. Never leave home without a sword.
If I remember to grab it along with my "Sword", I have a shinobigatana that I can use as close quarters defense and offense if need be.
I usually keep a sidearm in my kits at all times and a HENRY survival rifle in my truck box with several boxes of .22LR rounds.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Added a small stainless steel tweezers to my BOB for the purpose of removing ticks that have burrowed into my hide. The tweezers allows a person to pull out the entire tick which lessens the chance of infection and getting Lyme disease. They weigh nothing and take up no space.