Got myself a new bag to make into a BOB, GOOD bag or GHB

WillyPete

Got myself a new bag to make into a BOB, GOOD bag or GHB

Post by WillyPete »

One of my co-workers gave me a Tool-Pak® tool back pack. He had gotten a new one, that was given to him as a promotional item so he gave me this one. The one he gave me was also a promotional item he was given so, we both got a good deal.
You can peruse the different styles at http://www.toolpak.com

It has numerous tool slots, internal pouches and pockets that can be configured to carry most anything. Mine is the original that has 100 pockets but, most of them are narrow wrench/screwdriver slots. I'd have to remove some of the stitching to make them large enough to carry items for being on the run.
Other than that, ti does have a very thick adn fair soft back panel to keep your back from injury by tools and the pack straps are heavy duty since tools ain't light stuff.

All I need to do now is to figure out my load and how to stow it in the bag. I'm going to make it into another GHB to keep in my personal truck as I already have one in my work truck.
I'll carry protective items, fire making, food gathering, some shelter methods and accouterments as well as what ever else I figure will be useful. While keeping it as light as possible of course.

Once I get it started I'll put up some progress reports with pics so y'all can keep up with the development.
WillyPete

Re: Got myself a new bag to make into a BOB, GOOD bag or GHB

Post by WillyPete »

For the most part I'm still in the gathering materials phase of the bag construction.
So far, I've picked up a couple of small FAKs and other survival items of the fire starting variety.
I made it harder on myself anyway because, I bought two more bags, some REMINGTON brand camouflage backpacks from Wally World that were being clearanced at $7.00 apiece. I bought two of them, one for me as another GHB and one for my buddy to do what he likes with it. I imagine he'll do what he does with a lot of goods I give him, trade it for something else that he can't live without that happens to often be something I gave him earlier. Go figure. :?
Anyways, I decided that I want three bags, one for my work vehicle, one for my personal vehicle and one for whenever I ride with someone else. It'll stay nearby so I can grab it and go whenever we head out and I won't get caught high and dry if something happens while we're away.
WillyPete

I now have pics of the start of building this GHB

Post by WillyPete »

Hopefully I won't overload something with all of the photos.
This is the Remington bag I purchased on clearance. It has one large main pocket, a smaller pocket in front of that and a smnaler pocket in front of that for a total of three pockets of storage.

One of the First Aid Kits I obtained for the bags, don't have pics of the others.
Remember, this bag is just for getting home from wherever I happen to be, not for any extended forays in the bush.

It has bandages, gauze, tape, pads, topical treatments, cleansers, swabs and an ice pack. It's enough for a very small group but really good for a single traveler.
Some interior photos:

Some fire starting implements

The big sticks I found at one of my customers, they were clearanced at $1.00 a box and I got all of them. You can find them at Wal-Mart in Sporting Goods. They're made by Coleman and they come in a box of 8, don't know the price. The zipper bag has some books of paper matches and alcohol prep pads for tinder, they do burn nicely and for several minutes. You can get those at any pharmacy. And, of course, the requisite magnesiuom flint bar. I believe I have fire making covered, if I need it.

I also have the means to gather wood, a small folding saw that was part of this kit I'm modifying and a small tanto knife for some serious cutting when needed.

Some people believe a tanto blade knife is absolutely no good for a survival tool. I completely disagree! The use of any knife for any purpose is dependent mostly on the skill of the user. Admittedly, knives are designed for a purpose but, they are very multi-functional.

My night vision implements. The green one is what came with the original kit I've modified slightly and the black one is a small LED light I got at Wal-Mart again, with a zipper bag with three spare batteries for the LED light.

Some gathering tools, a few zipper bags and the cloth bag that came with my kit. I'll show th ekit in a little bit, don't worry. :wink:

My long distance reconnaissance tool. Need to keep abreast of what's happening on the road ahead of me right?

These are an inexpensive set of Tasco 12x25 binocs that I paid maybe $10 for it. A good deal and a great necessity.

Most of these items were not in the original kit, which was the bottle but, they all fit inside of it. The bottle is my primary water carrying device.

And once all the goodies are packed, it's a decent package and not too fussy to remove anything. You just have to remove everything to get anything. :roll:
These type kits can be obtained at http://www.lifelinefirstaid.com

And, finally, all the current parts and pieces that go in this GHB.

I'll be adding to the GHB and the photos here as I make my adjustments.
WillyPete

Some additions

Post by WillyPete »

I picked up a few more items for the GHB today.

First, a small folding shovel that also has a root saw for digging any "cat holes" when I need them. A hobo tool kit that is mostly for consuming a meal, a knife, fork, spoon and can and bottle opener. It's made in two halves that can be separated and it's made by Winchester. I got this one at Wally's but I'm pretty sure they can be found elsewhere. And a really big steel mug for cooking, boiling, drinking, etc., whatever I may need a fair sized container for use. This one I picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse and it's capacity is 24oz.

I decided to get some different fire starting implements. A match safe with a bunch of strike anywhere matches that I found just recently and, a BIC lighter. Since I am an ex-smoker, I still have several that I rarely use. And some water treatment tablets for quick treatment of questionable water if I don't want to take the time to boil any up.

These are the type towels that my wife used at her place of employment, a hospital. These are very durable, very strong and exceptionally useful. Sadly, if you don;t have connections with a hospital, these are pretty much unavailable. My wife picked up several because they were being thrown out after surgery episodes. They were part of a general "kit" that contained numerous items to cover the most encountered needs for surgery but, they, along with several of the other items, were not used and had to be thrown out with the trash as they were considered not sterile anymore. The hospital would not attempt to re-sterilize them as using the kits was much less expensive than sterilization efforts. Bonus for her and me!

I also decided that I wanted a quick shelter when needed so, I bought a Coghlan's Tube Tent. I also bought a bunch of tealight candles at a dollar store just because and, I may actually find a use for them or I may not. I do know that they can be invaluable as a fire starting aid in some instances.

The last items today are some individually wrapped hard candies and other sweets and some of those tiny drink powder packs. Two of them in the 1-liter water bottle I have will make for a pleasant libation whilst on the road. The candies are to be used as an energy source since I will be doing considerable walking if necessary or, I could possibly use them in barter, if whoever I'm bartering with has kids or a sweet tooth that needs filling. :wink:

One of the next tasks will be to edit my selections some and then pack them a bit more efficiently than I did just stuffing them into the bag so that they wouldn't get away in the meantime.
I still have some items to add and I'll get them later on, I'm doing yard work tomorrow.
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

Thats a sturdy looking waterproof bag and the price was right! What a deal. What type of water purification system is that? Do those bottles contain halizone tablets or is it some kind of liquid purification additive? Where did you get the water kit?
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

The water treatment tabs are something like halazone I think, not real sure, I'll check the bottle label and get back with it.
Those are a Coghlan's version of the Aqua-Pur tabs so, they're probably the same thing with different names. The other treatment method is the 24oz. mug for boiling.
I got those tabs at the local Sportsman's Warehouse where I spend a considerable sum every time I go in there.
I know, I got a bad habit but, it's so fun! 8)
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I checked the label and these are an iodine compound. Each tab is 16.7% Tetraglycine Hydorperiodide with 6.68% Titratable Iodine.
If you're a chemist that means something to you. Me, I'm just guessing that these things are Iodine.
The neutralizer tabs indicate they are used to neutralize the iodine taste of the treated water, they are 45% Ascorbic Acid. Hmmm, vitamin C. Those drink powder packs will do the same thing.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

:mrgreen: Thanks W.P.
Rman

Post by Rman »

Nice looking outfit there, WillyPete! I'm still collecting stuff for my BOB. Got a large pack at Big5 Sporting goods -- their prices are great! I also spend way too much there, at Sportsman Warehouse, and at Cabelas. But what a fun addiction!

I also bought a WaterBob for large, emergency drinking water. Here's an Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterbob-Emergenc ... B001AXLUX2

-- Russ
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I've seen that waterbob, something I can't purchase right now but, when I can I will.
Right now I have a few collapsible containers and several 33 gallon food grade plastic barrels for when needed.
WillyPete

Re: Got some more goodies

Post by WillyPete »

I have added items to my GHB for those "just in case" type moments. I decided to get some fishing materials as a means to gather food since I do not know how long I may be traveling before I get back home. Some small compartmented boxes, a couple of floats, hooks and sinkers and a small spool of 8 lb. test monofilament. One box contains some gear and the other will contain a selection of jigs, small soft plastics and some BERKELEY baits kind of like their newest GULP! offerings.

I had this cheap, plastic poncho from another kit I once had and one of those mylar wraps. Figured I might as well make use of them since I have them.

The candies and drink packs I removed from the original bulky boxes and repacked them. The candies went into plastic zipper bags and the drink packs went into a plastic sealing container. The container can be used to hold other items when needed as well.

I also decided that I wanted a slightly larger "bush blade" in my kit. This one has about a 10" blade, a strong comfortable grip and a reasonably thick sturdy blade. It will tend to my firewood gathering needs better than the small tanto I have in there and can serve in an offensive/defensive manner also.

One thing I forgot to add earlier that can be an important use item is located at the lower left corner of this pic. Can you see it?

It's the package of "Camper's Toilet Tissue". Those small rolls you can get in some sporting goods stores and departments that have a few pocket rolls of necessary tissue. I can use leaves and grass most times but, that stuff just doesn't hold up well when I have to blow my nose clear, ya know? :lol:
This pic is also all the items and their packaging that I have tucked into my GHB. I weighted it on my bath scale and I currently have a 13.5 lb. pack.
Not heavy at all but contains pretty much everything I'll need to get home if the conditions dictate that travel.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

I saw one item of interest (kennesawcutlery.com) catalog was the bushmaster survival knife comes with survival kit @ compass < i am going to put in my truck to carry at all times,looks like it will chop wood too...
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I just looked at that Bushmaster Survival Knife, seems OK. I've bought dozens of that type survival knife and, to be honest, I've grown disillusioned with them. I believe they're more of a novelty than a utilitarian piece of equipment and I don't bother with them much anymore. Granted, I have not ever checked out one of those Kennesaw blades, it's just the type of blade I'm not thrilled with anymore.
The most I would do with the ones I currently possess would be to use them as trade goods. Somebody desperate for a "survival knife" may want to trade something for one of mine. I'll level with them about what they're getting so, if they insist on trading for it, I'll trade for something reasonable but I won't push it.
I looked at Kennesaw's selection of fixed blade knives and there are several good ones available that would make excellent survival knives.
Both of the Cold Steel Bushmans are two good ones that I would choose if I were purchasing, and a few others that you should be able to find easily.
One thing I will not do is skimp on a knife, I have to depend on it for too much, my life and other's lives. I like the Cold Steel because of a letter from a reader of The Backwoodsman magazine that showed how he had made his Bushman into a viable survival kit with items stored inside the hollow handle and other items stored in a pouch on the sheath. It was in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue if you can find one.
I have a large collection of different knives where the majority of them I call "junk knives" because they're not made for serious use, they're literally junk. I would use them as trade goods with full disclosure but that's about it. I keep and use the good ones myself.
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

I too have bought several knives over the years and recently I have been going through them and weeding out the ones I don’t use and trading them off. I traded about half a dozen knives at a gun show for a Fallkniven A1. I had never seen one before but when I did I have to have it. It’s a great knife but the sheath is not very fictional so I replaced it with a nylon combat sheath. After trading and selling I now have the Fallkniven A1 the Al Mar S.E.R.E. Operator, Tops Shadow Tracker, and Gerber Yari II. There is a web site called knifetest.com if you want to see what a knife can put up with. These are things you would never do to a knife but it will tell you were the breaking point is and they are all in the survival category.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

I went to a local gun show yesterday and bought a large ALICE type pack with frame, in exceptional used condition for $15. I consider that a great deal since they are going for $120 in surplus stores and are all beat up with missing straps and broken snaps etc. This large alice pack has 3 magazine pouches on the aft side and it holds way more gear than my old small alice pack which has served me well for the last 42 years. The old pack will be used by my wife since she can't carry a very heavy load, if we should need to walk up the mountain to escape any future unpleasantries.