The Mule

fern
Patriot
Patriot

The Mule

Post by fern »

This week is the first time I ever used one of the 4 wheel drive side by sides. The one we borrowed was a mule without power steering. I was quite impressed how well it would climb over rocks and through deep muddy springs as well as up and down the steep inclines...many of which we had to back out of since they were dead ends with no room to turn around. I am sure there are better versions of this method of travel but I thought it was amazingly quiet. The mule sat very high and it seemed top heavy. If a person has a lot of fuel stored, this would be a good option to have. We ran it for almost 7 hours and did not have to refuel.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: The Mule

Post by Toepopper »

Are you talking about a surplus military mechanical mule? They are 4x8 feet with an air cooled rear mounted engine and have the unique characteristic of being able to run on 3 wheels if you should get a flat. There are no side panels or dash board or any roof structure to keep you out of the sun and they look like a sheet of green plywood on wheels. I flipped one over on its side once in 1967 that was loaded down with crates of land mines. I saw these mules for sale at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot near Radcliff Kentucky in 2005 and they were asking for mucho money to purchase one.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

That description sounds like what we were in! Yuck green with no roof or sides but it traversed anything we came upon. Other than being top heavy and no power steering, it was impressive. I have never heard anything so quiet that was running! In honesty, I did not know such a thing existed. I am sad to hear they are expensive because I would like one. I think I could climb a rocky mtn with one albeit slowly.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

No kidding! While at the Knob Creek MG Shoot I talked to the owner of a company in Peoria Illinois that buys and sells the M274 military mules and he has a stockpile of parts for all models. His name is David Kelone and he has a web site at http://www.militarymules.com He had a couple dozen sitting there for sale and the K.Ck. range owns several for transporting loads of ammunition from the range out to the parking area for people who purchase truckloads of ammo. They ranged in price from $3500 all the way up to $8,000 for a newer model in real clean condition. Take a look at his site when you get a spare minute or three.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I will forward this info to my husband! He wants one as much as I do. He was looking at those polaris things but after using this thing, we both felt it would be the better investment.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

And here I thought you were wanting a real mule, this thing looks like a good idea.
Actually, I thought you were referring to something else. it's shaped like a wide bathtub and has 6 wheels plus, it is completely amphibious and definitely all-terrain.

Here's a link to a website about them. http://www.maxatvs.com/index.php?src=ge ... uided+Tour

I'll likely grab the next door neighbor's burro myself, if they decide to hot foot it out of here when the time comes of course. They also have a horse I'll take to care as well, depending.
Still, that little vehicle is a dandy contraption, I wonder if I could build one out of pieces and parts I have around. Use my tractor engine to power it, frame rails from other vehicles or scrap metal, wheels and drive train from various vehicles and same for the steering. I imagine I could cobble something together after a while of figuring and working on it.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

That is the mule I was talking about Toepopper! The pic does not look like it was top heavy since there is no top...but it certainly felt like it was. Perhaps that was because it is so square and we were on steep and rough terrain a lot. It went through the deep creeks and climbed slopes so steep that I actually got out and tried to walk them and couldn't. I would just keep sliding back down hill. It is slower than the molasses I put on the garden unless you are on fairly level ground!
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Yes, those are a rugged go-anywhere type of vehicle and they can haul a very heavy load (1000 pounds) through unforgiving terrain. Real low gear ratio, thats what gives them so much pulling power. The Marine Corps was the first service to use them but I noticed "U.S. Army" stencilled onto a newer looking model at the MG shoot so evidently they have them too. We had one in V.N. with a 106 MM recoiless rifle mounted on it that we used during mine sweeps. No one would dare mess with us when they saw that 106 coming. It finally wandered into an unmarked French minefield, hit a mine and was blown all over a 200 yard area along with the driver from Brooklynn N.Y. Those early models had a pull rope to start the engine, no battery or lights, lightweight for helicopter lifts into the jungle. If I had the money I would get one for hillside chores and firewood gathering etc. because I am sure getting tired of walking up and down this mountain. I noticed on David Kelone's Mule site that he has some beaters for $2700-$3200 that run and he considers some of them as cantidates for restoration. I just need a workhorse. It says that they quit making them in 1970 so whats in stock and for sale are moldy oldies.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I am going to watch that site too so when we can afford one...hopefully there will be an affordable one that is worth having. It felt like we could take the entire family on a hayride with it! That is if they could hold on. Need to put sides on the back. I did not mind holding on in the front although at times, it was nail biting. The one we used had a full front seat in it all the way across.