Boots ?

308gun

Boots ?

Post by 308gun »

Yes the biggest part of your bug out kit should be a VERY good pair of COMBAT BOOTS , and or a second pair of heavy duty work boots , I would walk point in combat , so I was always on the go, a pair of GI jungle boots would only last about 2 weeks under combat conditons , so keeping this in mind GO NOW and get 2 pair new boots and lots of real good socks , start wearing now to do yard work or short walks ,, You want to break-in both pair right away but not wear out , do this in addition to your current foot wear... look at it this way ,, saw the movie about how the Polish jews got out of their camp and had to live in the Wild forest (TRUE) about half made it out alive ... wakes me up ! 308gun
WillyPete

Re: Boots ?

Post by WillyPete »

My boot choice is ROCKY brand boots for any use I have for them.
I have the BEAR CLAW snake boots and the WILD DAWGS hunting boots as well as a set of full leather steel toed work boots.
Except for the first pair of real US ARMY boots I ever bought, these ROCKY boots are the most comfortable and quickest to fit my feet I've had of any other boot out there. They're kinda expensive but, for me very worth the price.
I had looked for US ARMY boots many times in the past but, all I could ever find were the really low quality, cheap Chinese knock offs. After a couple of days with one pair, never again!
I'll keep my ROCKY's thank you very much! 8)
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

A good place to look for military spec footgear is at WELLCO BOOTS. They are the current manufacturer of the many different varieties of U.S. military combat boots and they sell to the civilian market at reasonable prices. I keep a backup of 3 pair in the original box they came in because if things do go down the tubes I don't want to be running around these mountains with bare feet. You can shop online if you google their site at Wellco boots. They are located in North Carolina.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Thanks for the info toepopper. I had been planning on just repairing them as needed, kinda be my own cobbler.
BuckBall

Post by BuckBall »

I've been through enough combat boots (wellcos, bellevilles, bates, BHI) that I finally got tired of the sore dogs and switched over to civvy hikers. Since I have fallen arches, combat boots are a no go, and yes, I've been down the road of insoles...ain't happening. Some of my mates in the sand box also wear hikers or backpacking boots such as Merrell's, Haix, Lowa and Keens. I use to wear Sawtooths by Merrell's but can't get them where I currently live...but pair any good set of boots that are designed for carrying a load on your back and wigwam Ingenious boot socks and any foot is in luxury.
bbj101

Post by bbj101 »

I'm not sure what you have in the lines of army navy stores where you all are at, but the one we have nearby actually stocks wellco boots and such for 20 bucks a pop! They are not in boxes and sometimes are mismatched but do your digging and its a heck of a deal in my eyes.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

We have one Army-Navy surplus store nearby but, they only carry cheap chinese knock-offs of most of their apparel. What actual surplus you can find there is usually way over priced and way under quality.
Unless a person has access to the military bases all around, it's highly unlikely that there's any REAL good surplus available anywhere.
Even the flea markets have mostly cheap knock-offs and seriously low quality USA merchandise with an unrealistically high price.
I've been all over our fair state for various reasons and have looked for what's available, slim pickin's is about it.
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Army/Navy stores are great, if you can find your size. Those boots are factory "seconds" that may have some slight blemish or smeared glue on them and a govt inspector would not accept them for use in the military. On the Wellco website they have new boots for $89. The current military boot is a lightweight canvas upper with a rubber lower, they are extremely lightweight and feel like a tennis shoe. These are designed for hot desert climates but for winter and mud/snow you will need something more substantial, preferably a boot with a heel to help in motivating you up or down a mountain. The heel acts like a brake when you are running down a mountain and will help you stop when you want to, instead of sliding to the bottom of a canyon. Your footwear should also be the tall - over the ankle lace up type so they won't be pulled off of your feet when running through thick mud or a shallow river/stream.
I find myself in an unusual position because I can NEVER find a pair of boots that fit properly. I wear a size 9 XW (9- 5-E) and can find this size only on the Wellco site. ( No, I can't walk on water) They sell half sizes too. All the boots I have purchased there heve held up extremely well, felt good and are the most boot for the buck.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I'll take a look at the WELLCOs.
Never expected you could walk on water but...

can you swim really, really fast? :wink:
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Can swim like a frogman, untill I rolled a backhoe down a mountainside in 2007 and had to have part of my right foot amputated. After it had healed up I decided to swim from Crescent City California to the Hawaian Islands but due to the lack of propulsion eminating from my right foot I actually swam in a big arc and found myself coming ashore in Seattle Washington.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

OK, I was kinda curious there. Thanks! :D