Still looking for the "strike-anywhere" matches?

WillyPete

Still looking for the "strike-anywhere" matches?

Post by WillyPete »

I went on a beer run to my local grocery store and found that this one regularly has strike-anywhere matches for sale. Mind you, these are the small match not the big kitchen matches but, they are strike-anywhere.
The store I use is Kroger, www.kroger.com and they appear to be all over the USA. I found the matches in their "picnic supplies" aisle with the other matches, fire starting materials, charcoal, canning supplies and materials, you get the picture.
I had been wondering where I might be able to obtain more strike-anywhere matches since my only supplier has closed their doors permanently and I bought out what they had in stock before they disappeared. Kroger has them and it seems on a regular basis. Last time I saw them, and it didn't register then, there were three packages of 10 32 count boxes, for 99 cents a package no less and, last night there were what looked like a dozen packages at 99 cents each. I bought three of them along with my beverage purchase.
I've been in many retailers asking if they carried strike-anywhere matches and not a single one of them had any except for my now defunct hardware store. And now Kroger is a source for them, I'll be picking up a couple of packages every now and again since they're 99 cents a package, small but good investment I'd say.
I'll be vacuum or nitrogen packaging the packages to keep them reasonably serviceable over time.
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Still looking for the "strike-anywhere" matches?

Post by Watchman »

Ace Hardware has the Diamond wood, strike-anywhere matches.
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

My main supplier for that brand of matches was an ACE hardware store. I haven't been able to find another yet but, finding that Kroger carries them helps a bit.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Believe it or not, you can buy a double pack of the large 250 per box or a ten pack of the small boxes at Dollar Tree for $1. That has been my main source since I stumbled onto them there!
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I've looked for the strike-anywhere matches at Dollar Tree and have never seen them there. I do a lot of shopping at FRED'S and find the 2-pack of 250 count boxes of strike-on-box matches for $1 or so there but no strike-anywhere anywhere but my former ACE hardware store. Other than the little matches at Kroger now.
There are other ACE hardware stores that I have not been to in a year or more, when I can get to them I'll look there and see.