Definitely need advice on this one..

bbj101

Definitely need advice on this one..

Post by bbj101 »

I have the knowledge as to what goes into a bug-out bag, but how in the world do I manage everything that I alone need and then that in which I would need for my son?? Just what I need to go spend an hour away from home is ridiculous, so how do I do this.

Another issue would be my back, I was in a severe car accident in 07 and have more pain than most can imagine.. so I can't handle carrying an 80lb bag and a 30lb child.. advice?
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Definitely need advice on this one..

Post by Toepopper »

If your back will allow it, maybe you should consider some sort of a wheeled cart to set your gear on or in and pull it along behind you. Small pneumatic tires work the best because they will allow the cart to bounce over any minor obstacles in your path and solid rubber wheels won't. Air filled tires will also allow you to travel over a dirt trail where solid rubber or plastic wheels will not because they will sink into the ground and make pulling/pushing much more difficult. In winter time you can use a sled to slide your gear over the frozen ground.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I have read in other survival forums about people that also have back troubles and how might they take the long walk if needed. One suggestion that has been consistent has been to use a wheeled game cart such as this one.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/y ... x?a=527975

It can carry a large quantity of gear, critter or person and can be pulled or pushed. The wheels on thsi one appear to be solid but I believe air tubed tires/wheels may be available. Maybe appropriate sized bicycle wheels to replace what is already there.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Willy, that one is a dandy!
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Yeah, it's pretty spiffy. I have one only slightly different, it's a combination treestand/game cart. It's someone else's but it is similar to this one: http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/amack ... ation.html
I haven't used it yet but, once I get it up and running, my woods walkin' will be a bit easier when necessary. :thumbs:
308gun

Post by 308gun »

two things you can do ,,, First pre-setup your b.o.b. and pack it ahead of time in your car/truck and put it all in large trash bag to keep dry... or also have VERY SMALL bag that you carry on your person but only have 1 MRE,, 1 small bottle water, and small baby food item... carry no more on your person (maybe add 1 small pocket knife and extra trash bag / heavy duty , the the trash bag can be used as poncho (head and arm holes ) or as tent/blanket if filled with dry hay or grass...THINK LITE ,, VERY LITE ,,, in danger , as I keep saying THINK out of the box ,,,, break all the rules ....... the point is SURVIVAL ,, not comfort zones....... :cowboy: