I call it my "Day Tripper"...

WillyPete

I call it my "Day Tripper"...

Post by WillyPete »

...mostly because I'm a lummox, have two left feet and can't chew gum and walk at the same time.
:sorry: back to topic now.

I decided to put together a small daypack for short jaunts where carrying the B.O.B. or the GHB would be horrendously inappropriate. This little backside kit is unobtrusive and carries a short selection of necessary items for a not long term trek possibility. I decided to keep it simple by only using items I have currently at my home, no trips to get something I forgot. If I don't have it, I don't have it. Likely I'll pick up other items to trim it out later on.

The bag is a fanny pack I purchased at WallyWorld for about $10 or so, probably less but i don't recall.

I have it outfitted with two 1 liter pop bottles I have re-purposed as water containers. I like the 1 liter size because of its copious quantity quality and, when I'm thirsty I tank up, little bottles just don't cut it.

First items are for first aid. A zipper baggie with bandages, tape and gauze. Not enough for major trauma but suitable for day trips.

Should I need to refill and process water or, I get wet or cold and need some heat, fire starting implements. A baggie with two boxes of strike anywhere matches and a lighter plus, another baggie with fire starting candles. I found these at a BIG-LOTS store years ago and I can tell you, they work like a champ! They are a small paper cup of paraffin with an additive that makes it burn hotter. Don't know what but it gets a fire started. I don't have many of them and haven't found anymore so, they are a last resort.

Other warming materials I have included are some heater packs and some light gloves. The gloves are also used for handling stuff I'd rather not have bare skin against.

I've also included a mylar space blanket and a flashlight with batteries for necessary instances.

And the ubiquitous tools for whatever need may arise. There's always room for a knife or two! My apologies to Jell-O.

All packed up the bag still has space for some additional items and it is very light weight even with 2 liters of water. But that is somewhat self correcting.

I will be adding a couple of more items that currently reside in my truck, some CLIF bars, a magnesium/flint bar and some Potable-Aqua tablets to round it out.
Comments anyone?
Watchman
Foreman

Re: I call it my "Day Tripper"...

Post by Watchman »

:thumbs:
“Two is one, one is none”
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Post by Toepopper »

:coffee: Yes, very convenient and easy to carry.
SS5R

Post by SS5R »

I must have been reading your mind. A couple of weeks ago I ran across a fanny pack in my barn that I used to use for hunting. It has a fairly large compartment no water bottle holders but it is big enough to fit a bottle inside. I was thinking of doing the same thing, as it would be nice to grab when running errands.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

That's pretty much what I intend for this one, quick trips where a big bag or pack is too conspicuous and/or unnecessary.
I will also use it for any short jaunts in other people's vehicles where dragging my GHB out of my truck is overkill for a short trip.
Anything more than a short trek will be done in my truck with my get home gear though.