Getting Home

rray

Getting Home

Post by rray »

I work 20+ miles from home. Beyond a map recon for a route and some pre-planning what else can I plan out ahead of time for a scenario that will not allow driving the roads?
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Getting Home

Post by Toepopper »

It might be a good idea to select an alternate route that paralells the road, where you can walk without being seen and bypass any roadblocks just in case you have to abandon your vehicle. You will need to know about any natural obstacles like fences and rivers and how you can get across them. 20 miles is a good walk but if you push hard you can do it in a day. I keep a small grab bag with water, firestarter and power bars and a knife and compass in it, that has a shoulder strap for easy carrying. This time of year you will need proper clothing to deal with winter temperatures.
308gun

Post by 308gun »

first look for old or current railroad tracks, may need old maps, most will go close to main road but not near public area's , you could follow those, takes a little study, next look at keeping a bike in storage near work , mountain bikes, work well off road , or motor cycle light off road, or find local that you can rent horse or mule from do all travel off road , also hire a private aircraft to fly over the route a few times to see what you will deal with...also pre-store survival supplies ,at or near work , food , water, boots, firearm and ammo plus clean gear...poncho! think about your area and study it well.......apply the same to any long trips, vacations, trips to friends, uncle joe , pre -store stuff there, also great is store a cheap military rifle and ammo(bolt action)at grandmothers attic, THINK out the box... forget the rules and you can Survive... :coffee:
rray

Post by rray »

Great, thanks for the ideas. I took a look at google earth and found a pretty good route on nature trails, power lines and railroad tracks. There's only a couple roads I would have to cross. I guess with those I can utilize my military skills and go across like any danger area. Only a small portion would be cross country (3 miles appx.) that I am already familiar with. 1 water crossing would be my only hurdle but most are frozen at this time or have portions that are frozen. I think my next step is to gather the goods for a bag and maybe leave my snowshoes in my truck for the winter. Plan Plan PLan!
308gun

Post by 308gun »

P.S. for you or others , I might add that rivers, or even river banks could be a good bug out route, and as you stated hiking trails are another way to travel, and as i also say blend in, dress in old clothing look like a street person, and in any trouble area's you may be paid no mind. keep your gear under an old dirty blanket , look like you have nothing of value, keep moving ,don't stop to talk or fight.....
side_job

Post by side_job »

also on Google maps you can select directions by walking. It gives you another option to look at... btw 20 miles home aint bad... I got 47... think about my walking trip back most every morning on my way in. Ive told my family not to expect me the first day, but Ill be there on day 2.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Have a backup, small all-terrain map for your back pack! Do not rely on the internet in case of an EMP attack!
“Two is one, one is none”
308gun

Post by 308gun »

Also wanted to add for snow country, look into cross country skies and poles, I also like the military swizz skies as can be strapped on to many different types boots, also for snow time , I like the German army white poncho and or the military coverall in all white , in a snow storm you will not be seen at all , or if so will only show up in movement, keep it clean to get full affect.... and plain white bed sheet to cover your tent, or as a fast make do poncho works great.....or a white medic outfit in x-large to cover up your outer ware works great....the point is get from a to b and not be seen.....that alone could save your life..... I find lots good winter/snow surplus items at the Sportsmansguide.com :cowboy: good traveling = survival
308gun

Post by 308gun »

and last have a good compass in a storm you may not even be able to see sun or stars and get lost very fast , know your route before starting out, things will look all different in a storm and also at night, whole different world from normal travel...and preplan rest and safe area's in case you get hurt etc....
rray

Post by rray »

I have a pair of the mil skis/poles also and I got them from sportsman guide! They definitely take more practice than snow shoes.....I've spent a little time on the ground, if you know what I mean! They are still a good option though. I got a little distance measuring to do, my 20 miles is road distance, I'm guessing by trail I'd have to add at least 10 more. I'll have to gather topos of the route (main and alternate) and measure actual distance to travel. Then I can add those maps to my bag and have them on hand.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

My employment is also a long distance from home so, I put together a kit I keep in my truck that, if I have to hoof it, I have most of what I'll need to make the trek. You can see it in the Bug Out Bag forums or here's a quick link.

http://www.preparedness-survival.com/ph ... 17&t=19470

Of course yours will be different but, mine is a fair reference so you'll have an idea how to put yours together. i am going to be adding some items to that kit to round it out; heavy trousers, skivvies for when I don't want to "go commando", spare socks, GOOD walking boots, shirts and other top covers, a hat and whatever other accessories I'll decide I need. I'll figure it out. :cowboy: