Going to make some jam and have a question

Preserving and storing your food supply by home-canning methods.
WillyPete

Going to make some jam and have a question

Post by WillyPete »

I'm going to get some fresh strawberries and try my hand at strawberry jam today. The recipes I have are all for half-pint jars and I would like to make pint jars of jam. Can I double the recipe safely to make pints or do I have to stick with half-pints?
Thanks for the help! :thumbs:
Watchman
Foreman

Re: Going to make some jam and have a question

Post by Watchman »

I can only repeat what county extension agent told us: 'Never double canning recipes.' What the reasoning is I don't know but I'll bet somewhere that Google does.
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

I got finished with my jams a little while ago and I'm now thinking that doubling up was not a good idea. Don't know for certain yet but, I made some other mistakes along the way anyway. I hope I can salvage what I did do but I won't know for awhile yet.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Waste not, want not. We made some pumpkin butter and canned it a couple of years ago but it never thickened. Instead of pitching it we use it on ice cream. Hmmmm, good!
“Two is one, one is none”
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

With all of the sugar I put into it, I could use it over pancakes, waffles, ice cream or angel food cake.
My goof was to put the sugar in before I cooked down the strawberries. I put the pectin in last when the mix was at a rolling boil and canned it up right after I cooked it for awhile longer.
One way or another it will be edible.
WillyPete

Post by WillyPete »

Welp, one of my goofs prevented the jam from setting up solid like. It is a fairly thick fluid but not a jam consistency. More of a sauce than anything else. I took some of it and poured it over ice cream and it did quite well. Put some on a piece of cake which was excellent and a cheesecake I will bake will be the next attempt.
I'm also going to make another attempt at strawberry jam but actually follow the directions this time, once I get some more half pint jars that is.