Another shortage?

Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Another shortage?

Post by Toepopper »

First there came the ammunition shortage, then the reloading components shortage and now its the RCBS tools and and dies shortage. Spent an entire day and drove 200 miles round trip searching all the big box and mom & pop gun shops looking for a large primer crimp removing tool to fit on my RCBS motorized case prep station. The shelves were empty of most essential RCBS dies and all other necessary equipment for reloading and everyone working in the stores told me they couldn't get re-supplied because of the current demand for these things. Had to search online and get one from Midway but doing that leaves a paper trail.
knobster

Re: Another shortage?

Post by knobster »

I'm so very happy to read this old thread and sigh in relief that this shortage is over (for now). I hit a local shop last week and was glad to see shelves groaning under the sheer weight of reloading components and equipment. The months following Sandy Hook were crazy. Everyone and their brother/sister/mom/cousin/etc ad infinitum were buying up anything related to shooting. Ammo prices shot up and many folks then turned to reloading their own. I don't hear much talk in the shops these days about people getting into the hobby so I'm curious as to how many presses and dies are now gathering dust thanks to ammo being plentiful again.

Despite the full shelves I continue to stock up. I'm reminded of the story of Joseph - gathering grain during the seven years of plenty in order to prepare for the seven years of famine...
Toepopper

Post by Toepopper »

Many of the locals here are doing reloading and have stocked up on components so as not to run out again. I have recently purchased a Dillon Square Deal auto indexing press for reloading handgun ammunition and am kicking myself for not doing this years ago. Production has increased to 300 rounds per hour and the reloads come out perfect which gives good accuracy and repeatability.
knobster

Post by knobster »

Toepopper wrote:Many of the locals here are doing reloading and have stocked up on components so as not to run out again. I have recently purchased a Dillon Square Deal auto indexing press for reloading handgun ammunition and am kicking myself for not doing this years ago. Production has increased to 300 rounds per hour and the reloads come out perfect which gives good accuracy and repeatability.
I am very close to picking up a Dillon 650 myself. My dad has a 550 which really cranks out the ammo. I can only imagine how fast it falls with auto-indexing!
side_job

Post by side_job »

I have been window shopping a Dillion 650 as well. It is hard for me to justify the cash outlay at this time so I am resolved to stay with my Lee handloader and taking the nice and slow approach. Besides, it is still difficult to find pistol powder so I am conserving the powder I have. :)