Acquiring Insulin

knobster

Acquiring Insulin

Post by knobster »

A lot of my searches regarding diabetes (Type-1) survival usually falls into the 'safely storing insulin' category. What I really, really, really need to know is how to acquire more of it. At present my family only has 3-5 vials in the fridge at any given time. I've asked at the pharmacy about getting another vial but I got a very confused look. Such a thing is impossible unless some doctor somewhere scribbles their name on a Px card. Buy from Canada? Not sure I trust that route. One plausible route is buying from vet clinics but unless I can 'prove' that my cat has diabetes I don't think any vet will let me walk into their place and buy some.

Anyone else been searching along these lines?
Toepopper
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter
Patriot ⭐ Construction, Shelter

Re: Acquiring Insulin

Post by Toepopper »

Not only insulin but syringes should also be stockpiled. I know people who use the same syringe 4 or 5 times, then save the allotted syringes not used to acquire a stockpile of them. No ill effects have occurred from doing this. You may also purchase syringes at a pet store but these are a larger diameter size. I get insulin from the V.A. and they send it to me through the mail. I always have 3 or 4 vials on hand but would like to store more. If refrigerated it will keep for about 3 years before it starts to break down and lose its potency.
As far as keeping insulin cool while in storage I have a small, very old Servel mini refrigerator that runs on propane instead of electricity. The propane company tops off my 350 gallon tank every year and this refrigerator can run for about 15 years on 350 gallons of propane. Several other companies are manufacturing state of the art propane powered refrigerators that use less propane and these can be found at a solar power store/catalog or at a propane distributor.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

The only back up system we have is four of those truck stop coolers that you plug into your cigarette lighter. My better half put together a version i can use here at home with a couple backup batteries to switch to if needed and we purchased a solar set to recharge the batteries if the power goes out.
“Laws are made for the weak more than the strong.” Ben Franklin
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I did meet a surveyor here that buys his insulin from a pharmacy in india. I cannot imagine how it would get here in good shape but he says it is packed well. He purchases a large amount each time because the price is so low. He says it is the same name brand insulin made by the same manufacturer that he used to get in the states but at 20 percent of the cost.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

I have been following this info for a while too in hopes it makes it to the usa soon. The thought of swallowing vs the pain of harpooning with the pump or needles in my belly would be welcome.

Oramed.com
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

Knobster,

I had the same problem getting extra insulin from the endo i was referred to when i was given this curse. He kept me on such a tight leash that often i would have to go to his office to get test strips or a pen of insulin because i would run out before i was allowed to reup at the pharmacy. Talk about crazy control...! But i was new to this dreadful disease and i stuck with him until i got a handle on the program.

At that point, i went to my regular physician in DC and asked him if he would work with me on getting a pump and extra insulin. He writes an open prescription for my annual insulin needs and i was able to start stocking my insulin even though i have to now use a mail order pharmacy. Also twice a year, he orders a box of 5 lantus pens and a box of 5 novolog pens for me as a backup to my pump.

I do not miss the endo at all but i do still visit one twice a year for the halibut and maybe so it keeps any insurance questions answered.

Perhaps you could look into this option too. A few vials of insulin with two diabetics seems worrisome to me. Good luck.
fern
Patriot
Patriot

Post by fern »

This is where i am currently buying my insulin.

https://rxcanada4less.com. Brian is the pharmacist i work with.

To buy it here locally, it is $265 per vial of novolog. This place charges $48 for the exact same thing by the exact same manufacturer. I buy bulk though since shipping is $25 up to $500 of meds. In the hot months, you pay an additional $10 for it to be coldpacked in a styrofoam container. It is sent via overnight air and then delivered by the post office.

They offer all types of insulin and i am still thinking about trying the humilog one of these days.
Watchman
Foreman

Post by Watchman »

Just on the off-chance that anyone is military retired (or veteran-eligible) (and not signed up) we use DoD's plan with Express Scripts Pharmacy. $29 for 3 vials of Lantus and free shipping in cooled styrofoam container.
“Two is one, one is none”